Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

tar: v: Cannot open: No such file or directory

hi,

I'm a new linux user. And I'm trying to install Sybase on my Linux. But I met a lot of problem.

I have installed the sybase successfully but the server cannot be started. And the error is that: ./startserver: error while loading shared libraries: libaio.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And then I download the " libaio-0.3.105-2.i386.rpm", and used the rpm command to install: rpm -ivh libaio-0.3.105-2.i386.rpm
    but it said: " libaio-0.3.105-2.i386.rpm: not an rpm package (or package manifest):"

And then I download the "libaio-0.3.106.tar.gz", and tried to use tar command to install : tar -zxfv libaio-0.3.106.tar.gz
    but it said: "tar: v: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: libaio-0.3.106.tar.gz: Not found in archive
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    "

I really don't know what to do and hope someone can help me.

Hi

Please check whether you have enough disk space to install it also try to use relative path rather than absolute path.

Kiran

tar -zxfv libaio-0.3.106.tar.gz
    You have your tar options in the wrong order. The -f option must be the last one, since that is the one that looks for a filename argument. Right now, in the order you have your options, tar is looking for a file name 'v'. It is not taking v as the verbose argument.

$tar -xzvf <targetfile>

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
    You have your tar options in the wrong order. The -f option must be the last one, since that is the one that looks for a filename argument. Right now, in the order you have your options, tar is looking for a file name 'v'. It is not taking v as the verbose argument.

$tar -xzvf <targetfile>
    It worked! Thank you very much!