Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello! I have a problem with Network Manager, which I have been unable to solve despite many hours of searching for solutions, and reinstalling it. Basically, the applet does not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Network Manager applet doesn't show wireless networks

Hello! I have a problem with Network Manager, which I have been unable to solve despite many hours of searching for solutions, and reinstalling it. Basically, the applet does not show any wireless networks - not even the "wireless network" heading. It only shows the Wired Network heading, and the VPN Connections menu under that. My wireless connection (and NM) was working fine right before I installed a bunch of updates (a big chunk, since it was the first update installed on my new computer, which I got only a week or so ago.) I'm sure the problem isn't with my modem - the internet connection of the other computers wired to it are fine, and NM works fine with hooking up the wired connection.

Can anyone point me to any possible solutions to this - namely, getting my Wireless Networks to show up on the applet? I noticed that newer versions of NM were available on the fedoraproject database, but my computer says that no software updates are available (and a yum command to update NM said the same thing). I'm new to Linux (can you tell? ), so I feel nervous about trying to update NM manually by downloading individual packages and installing them one by one - although I would try that if someone pointed me to some simple instructions, and if the danger of messing everything up wasn't too terribly great.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Just Joined!
    Hello Siswai,

I'm new to Linux (can you tell? )
    Yes, 'fraid so - you said nothing about your hardware. (You leave us to assume this's F12 too.) An update/reconfig of the driver (hw interfacing in the kernel) or anywhere inbetween could be the issue. Does executing "ifconfig" show any wireless interface?
    If so, does "service --status-all" show wpa-supplicant is running?
    If not, does "lspci" or "lsusb" show the hardware?
    Does it work if you interrupt grub (before boots linux) to select the older kernel?
    (If so NM is not the issue.)
    What can you then glean from current and previous /var/log/messages ?
    Grab the various version numbers from /boot and /var/log/yum.log and, together with the above, consider if the NM/etc bugzillas have obviously relevant reports?
    Can you run a liveCD to examine it working?
    Beyond that you then probably are looking at trialing the earlier packages from the distribution (or maybe the updates) directory in the repository.

Best wishes

Just Joined!
    Sorry - I didn't address your observation that the current repository update for NM is from January, but there are more recent ones on koji.fedoraproject.org.
    If NM is the issue, it might be worth trying the last 0.7 one before picking up all the subsequent changes (the F13 beta is imminent) mentioned at
    koji DOT fedoraproject DOT org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=166154
    I think "yum localinstall ..." will work through the update transaction (checking requirements) before asking permission to effect changes.
    HTH

Just Joined!
    errata: that should've been "yum localupdate ..." (where ...=rpm-s) so, even if you've grabbed an rpm that isn't in "yum list installed ...", hopefully it will ignore it.
    Hopefully you'd naturally RTM with "man yum". Similarly note that options -v, -vv, -d, etc can add make lspci/lsusb more detailed and limited to a particular device, for situations where you need more than just existence. In which case the vendorIDroductID can be a key net-search term for info. In some circumstances you might want to pipe the list of kernel modules to files, "lsmod >a_file_for_case1", and compare the situations with "diff". (just FYI)
    Good luck

Just Joined!
    Hello again! Thanks for the help - here's the info requested. Yes, I have Fedora12 installed, and since it's a brand new computer I don't think any older versions of the kernel are installed for me to boot with (maybe I'm wrong? haven't tried that yet). The version of NM that was on the F12 DVD that came with the computer (so I think that was the version originally installed) was 7.996-6. I think the big yum update I did updated NM to a newer version, because the version now installed is 7.998-2. After uninstalling it, I tried to reinstall the older version, but the nm.glib package was still installed and needed by other packages, so it wouldn't let me uninstall it, and then I couldn't install the older version of that package because it conflicted with the newer version. So the only thing I could think of to do was reinstall the newer version (7.998-2). On the fedoraproject package database, that was the latest 7. version, but I did see several newer versions (8..) listed.

In answer to your other questions, when I ran ifconfig, this was the result:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:23:8BC:EA:41
    inet addr:192.168.1.161 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::223:8bff:fedc:ea41/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:3297 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:2957 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:1745278 (1.6 MiB) TX bytes:570265 (556.8 KiB)
    Interrupt:16

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:480 (480.0 b) TX bytes:480 (480.0 b)

Unfortunately I can't interpret that. FYI, I am currently connected to the internet with a wired connection (NM seems to work fine with that, it just doesn't show any wireless connections in the applet menu - although when I "edit connections", the wireless options are listed there).

When I ran service --status-all it showed that yes, the WPA supplicant is running ("wpa_supplicant (pid 114 is running...). Also because of the circumstances, I'm inclined to believe that it's not a hardware or driver issue, unless the update I did somehow messed with the driver (is that even possible?)

I didn't see anything related to this issue with Fedora when was searching the web earlier (believe me, I tried), but I didn't specifically search bugzilla, so I'll try that. As for using a LiveCD, unfortunately I'm not familiar with that either! (I still have soooo much to learn, obviously. At least problems like this give me a steep learning curve!).

Thanks again.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help - here's the info requested.
    Altho your problem statement certainly lacked potentially relevant info, I was really suggesting how to approach the possibilities to find the real problem.
    It's very worthwhile to get a piece of paper (and/or textfile for cut-n-paste), put the situation/goal as heading, then track results and what one's doing & hypothesizing. The reflections/clarity will come to save more time than than the notes take, and breeds well-thought habits. Good answers require the right question.

since it's a brand new computer I don't think any older versions of the kernel are installed for me to boot with (maybe I'm wrong? haven't tried that yet). ... Also because of the circumstances, I'm inclined to believe that it's not a hardware or driver issue, unless the update I did somehow messed with the driver (is that even possible?)
    Yes. Like I said (and unlike windows) drivers (for the families of chipsets, rather than some product) are in the kernel. That's updated far more regularly than NM. Plus remember F12 DVD dates from Oct. A test of your counter-hypothesis (that trying reboot to an earlier version is possible) would've been looking at "ls /boot" .

I tried to reinstall the older version, but the nm.glib package was still installed and needed by other packages, so it wouldn't let me uninstall it
    If you uninstall those others at the same time, it should work - unless more things depend on those. In that case/alternatively to uninstalling, install the set of older packages as one yum operation.

Unfortunately I can't interpret that.
    Although - my 'bad' (mistake) - a wireless ethernet wouldn't appear any different
    I am currently connected to the internet with a wired connection
    is a pretty good interpretation of that, because a wireless connection will commonly mean a second ethernet interface. But in fact I should've suggested "iwconfig".
    Nevertheless, point is you've established there's no operational interface to the wireless device.

I didn't see anything related to this issue with Fedora when was searching the web earlier (believe me, I tried), but I didn't specifically search bugzilla, so I'll try that.
    No point until you've determined (your hardware and) if it's the kernel that's causing the issue (by trying roll-back at boot).

As for using a LiveCD, unfortunately I'm not familiar with that either! (I still have soooo much to learn, obviously. At least problems like this give me a steep learning curve!).
    No need to worry about a LiveCD if old kernel works / if not handy (unless booting installation DVD offers choice to go further than emergency boot-disc and mimic a LiveCD i.e. initiate a demo system in a RAMdrive).

Happy hunting!

Hello and Welcome!

siswai, since you're trying to get some wireless going, let's get a bit of info.
    Open up a terminal, and execute the following commands. Just post back the output.
    Code:
    lspci
    lsmod
    ifconfig -a
    Place the output in [code] tags... makes it easier to read through
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Hello jayd512, here is the requested info:

Code:
    [wildmint@localhost ~]$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
    05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
    Code:
    [wildmint@localhost ~]$ lsmod
    Module                  Size  Used by
    fuse                   48375  2 
    sunrpc                160138  1 
    cpufreq_ondemand        6993  2 
    acpi_cpufreq            6535  0 
    ip6t_REJECT             3394  2 
    nf_conntrack_ipv6      14859  2 
    ip6table_filter         2227  1 
    ip6_tables              9409  1 ip6table_filter
    ipv6                  223810  24 ip6t_REJECT,nf_conntrack_ipv6
    uinput                  5244  0 
    snd_hda_codec_realtek   197362  1 
    snd_hda_intel          19931  2 
    snd_hda_codec          59921  2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
    snd_hwdep               4868  1 snd_hda_codec
    snd_seq                42811  0 
    snd_seq_device          5031  1 snd_seq
    snd_pcm                60932  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
    iTCO_wdt                7862  0 
    snd_timer              15541  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    iTCO_vendor_support     2023  1 iTCO_wdt
    snd                    46576  12 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    uvcvideo               47568  0 
    soundcore               4863  1 snd
    snd_page_alloc          6125  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    videodev               28423  1 uvcvideo
    tg3                    90202  0 
    i2c_i801                8337  0 
    v4l1_compat            11370  2 uvcvideo,videodev
    wmi                     5620  0 
    joydev                  7408  0 
    dm_multipath           12324  0 
    usb_storage            34418  0 
    i915                  240665  2 
    drm_kms_helper         22251  1 i915
    drm                   135451  3 i915,drm_kms_helper
    i2c_algo_bit            4073  1 i915
    i2c_core               21732  6 videodev,i2c_i801,i915,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit
    video                  16522  1 i915
    output                  1605  1 video
    Code:
    [wildmint@localhost ~]$ ifconfig -a
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:23:8B:DC:EA:41  
              inet addr:192.168.1.161  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::223:8bff:fedc:ea41/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:7308 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:5486 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:3334987 (3.1 MiB)  TX bytes:877842 (857.2 KiB)
              Interrupt:16 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:480 (480.0 b)  TX bytes:480 (480.0 b)
    Also, here is the result of the command iwconfig you suggested, yuaskme.

Code:
    [wildmint@localhost ~]$ iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.
    Also, here is the result of running "ls /boot". It looks like a couple versions are available, unfortunately I don't know how to boot up an older version, so though I'm starting the process of learning to do that, I can't yet follow your advice about that.

Code:
    [wildmint@localhost ~]$ ls /boot
    config-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686.PAE
    config-2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686.PAE
    efi
    grub
    initramfs-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686.PAE.img
    initramfs-2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686.PAE.img
    System.map-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686.PAE
    System.map-2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686.PAE
    vmlinuz-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686.PAE
    vmlinuz-2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686.PAE
    Thanks again!

Okay... here's your wireless chip:
    05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
    A little Google work turned up a page from the Fedora Forums that should help you out: my wireless isn't working - FedoraForum.org

Looks like you'll need to have the RPMFusion repo enabled to get it going.
    Personal Fedora 12 Installation Guide
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!

getting grub-by

Hi siswai,

I don't know how to boot up an older version, so though I'm starting the process of learning to do that, I can't yet follow your advice about that.
    Just beyond the boot option to enter the CMOS set-up, tapping the space-bar should bring up the grub menu (where you have the option of the previous 2.6.31.5 kernal, and can see if it works as originally). If it doesn't appear to be there, edit /boot/grub/grub.conf (as root) to increase the timeout (or change the default). (More details under Configuration in "info grub", as mentioned in "man grub".)

Hope this works out for you. If so, you may look at different recent kernel versions, guided perhaps by the changelog or associated reports relevant to your hardware in the RH bugzilla.
    Last edited by yuaskme; 04-17-2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast