Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, This is my first post and quite frankly the reason registered, but now that I've browsed the forums a bit I'm liking it more and more. First off I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB Wireless drivers/problems

Hello,
    This is my first post and quite frankly the reason registered, but now that I've browsed the forums a bit I'm liking it more and more.

First off I'm quite new to Linux and I am using Fedora 12 because I am currently enrolled in a Linux class at my local Community college and that is what the instructor is using.

On to the questions, I have a 6-10 year old lap top i have gotten working and i purchased a wireless USB device it is a FRYS brand and uses 802.11n. I ran a lsusb and it detects; ID 07d1:3304 D-Link System. I have searched good high and low on google and its brought me to a couple of downloaders but getting an error

[/home/Sonken/Downloads/driverfetch_setup.exe]
    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
    the last disk(s) of this archive.
    zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/Sonken/Downloads/driverfetch_setup.exe or
    /home/Sonken/Downloads/driverfetch_setup.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/Sonken/Downloads/driverfetch_setup.exe.ZIP, period.

Now i am stuck and at a lost, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks,
    Scott

Linux Guru
    Hello Cavain,

Welcome to Linux Forums!

Your device doesn't seem to be in the database, but that doesn't mean that it won't work. We first need some detailed information. Over in the Wireless section is a stickied thread. It explains what info we need, and how to find it. The second part of that thread has a script that can be run, it will obtain the needed info. I think that it will run on Fedora, but you may need to run it as root.

Wireless Setup - Start here

Post the info in this thread, using code tags that I also described how to use in that thread.

This may be a worthy side project for your class. Unfortunately, we do not allow homework questions in the forums, so then we would no longer be able to help. So after we help you, you can then share it with the class.
    Last edited by waterhead; 05-01-2010 at 06:29 PM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    OK, I did a little sleuthing on this. I t looks like this is this device, correct me if I'm wrong.

FRYS.com*|*FRYS.com

I downloaded the windows driver for this. The windows driver can't be used direcly by Linux, but I just wanted to get some info. I looked at the .ini installation file, and it looks like this is using a Realtek RTL8192su chip.

I found a Linux driver for that chip at the Realtek web site:

Realtek

I doesn't appear to support your device, yet. But we can add it, and see if it works. You first need to unzip the file:
    Code:
    unzip rtl8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.0006.20100226.zip
    Then go to the /driver folder, and unpack another compressed file:
    Code:
    cd rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.0006.20100226/driver
    Code:
    tar xvfz rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.0006.20100226.tar.gz
    You now need to edit a file, to add your device's USB ID to the driver. Go to this folder in the driver source:

/rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.0006.20100 226

And with a text editor, like Gedit, open the usb_intf.c file. You should add the info here. I did it, like this:
    Code:
    	//*/
    	{USB_DEVICE(0x13D3, 0x3306)},
    	{USB_DEVICE(0x13D3, 0x3309)},
    	{USB_DEVICE(0x13D3, 0x3310)},
    	{USB_DEVICE(0x13D3, 0x3311)},    // 11n mode disable
    	{USB_DEVICE(0x13D3, 0x3325)},
    	{USB_DEVICE(0x083A, 0xC512)},
    	//Frys*/
    	{USB_DEVICE(0x07D1, 0x3304)},	
    	{}
    };
    So not to introduce any parsing or space errors, I copied and pasted the last line entirely, then just changed the ID numbers. Otherwise make sure you use a tab for the first space, I also noticed an extra space at the end of the last line, so I made sure my new line now had it instead. Save the file, and exit.

Now is a good time to make sure that you have all of the needed programs to compile the driver. I always install these (with root privileges):
    Code:
    yum install make gcc kernel-devel kernel-headers-`uname -r`
    Now, in the /driver/rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.0006.20100 226 folder run these commands as a regular user:
    Code:
    make
    Code:
    ./clean
    Then this with root permissions (use su for that):
    Code:
    insmod 8712u.ko
    There is a power point guide for installing the driver, in the /documents folder. That is as far as that goes. I went an extra step and copied the newly created 8712u.ko module to the module folder of my current kernel. But first you must correct the permissions of the module:
    Code:
    chmod 644 8712u.ko
    Code:
    cp 8712u.ko /lib/modules/2.6.28-18-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    Your kernel version will be different than mine. I then run this command:
    Code:
    depmod -a
    These commands must also be run with root permissions.

This got to be pretty long, I hope you can wrap your head around it. I also hope this gets your wireless working, which was the point of all this!
    Last edited by waterhead; 05-01-2010 at 09:06 PM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I noticed that the module is created with the wrong permissions applied to it. To correct that, run this command against the module (again with root permissions):
    Code:
    chmod 644 8712u.ko
    Edit: I added this step to the original directions too.

Now when I run the modinfo command against it, I see your device at the top of the list.
    Code:
    $ modinfo 8712u
    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.28-18-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8712u.ko
    author:         ...
    description:    rtl871x wireless lan driver
    license:        GPL
    srcversion:     7867246F3B23EA2F46BD1CE
    alias:          usb:v07D1p3304d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v083ApC512d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v13D3p3325d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v13D3p3311d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v13D3p3310d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v13D3p3309d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v13D3p3306d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v0B05p1791d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v0B05p1786d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v0E66p0016d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v0E66p0015d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v0DF6p0045d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v7392p7622d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v7392p7612d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v7392p7611d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v06F8pE031d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v050Dp845Ad*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v050Dp945Ad*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v050Dp815Fd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v1740p9605d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v1740p9603d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v14B2p3301d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v14B2p3300d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v07D1p3300d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v07D1p3302d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v07D1p3303d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v07AAp0047d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v0BDApC512d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v0BDAp8713d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v0BDAp8712d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v0BDAp8174d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v0BDAp8173d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v0BDAp8172d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v0BDAp8171d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    depends:        
    vermagic:       2.6.28-18-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 586 
    parm:           video_mode:int
    parm:           chip_version:int
    parm:           rfintfs:int
    parm:           lbkmode:int
    parm:           hci:int
    parm:           network_mode:int
    parm:           channel:int
    parm:           mp_mode:int
    parm:           wmm_enable:int
    parm:           vrtl_carrier_sense:int
    parm:           vcs_type:int
    parm:           busy_thresh:int
    parm:           ht_enable:int
    parm:           cbw40_enable:int
    parm:           ampdu_enable:int
    parm:           rf_config:int
    parm:           power_mgnt:int
    parm:           low_power:int
    Isn't Linux great, that you can do this type of modification to a driver? Try doing this in windows!
    Last edited by waterhead; 05-01-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much. But i'm having a minor issue, and i believe it is my inexperience shining through. I did find the downloaded file for the first step in the tmp directory and unziped it using this.

[tmp]# unzip rtl8191SU_usb_linux_v2.6.0006.20100226.zip

It worked so far as i can tell, but you second step has me stuck you stated "go to the /driver folder, and unpack another compressed file" by using cd rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.0006.20100 226/driver

# cd rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.0006.20100 226/driver
    bash: cd: rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.0006.20100 226/driver: No such file or directory

I did go digging and found the and found the driver file, /proc/driver, i listed it and it only had, nvram, rtc, and snd-page-alloc.

I think i missed a step, thanks again!

Scott

I just noticed your third post before i posted this, I'm falling in love with linux but its a rough love as I have almost no text based interface experience before i started this class. but the fact that i can go in and make things work even though they were never designed for the the OS is wonderful. Now I just need to tough it out and not be afraid to ask for help so I can learn how to do this and later hopefully help out other people who are just coming to see the light that is Linux

Linux Guru
    Download the driver source file to your home directory, not /tmp. Do all of your work from your home directory, that makes it easier. Inside of the now unzipped file is another compressed file, in the /driver folder. That file actually contains the driver source code.

One reason for using your home folder is that you can use a terminal short cut:
    Code:
    ~/
    Means the same thing as this:
    Code:
    /home/cavain
    I used cavain as your login name. Another terminal shortcut is to use the Tab key for autocompletion of file/folder names. The files and folders in this driver have long and confusing names. Use Tab after entering the first few letters, it beats typing out the whole name.

Keep asking questions, that is how you learn.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavain View Post
    ...I'm falling in love with linux but its a rough love as I have almost no text based interface experience before i started this class. but the fact that i can go in and make things work even though they were never designed for the the OS is wonderful.
    There is no guarantee that this is going to work. This is just a cheap hack that I learned how to do on some Ralink drivers. I don't actually know if it will work on Realtek drivers. You may actually be the first one to try this.

Just Joined!
    waterhead you are great! This was perfect. I am actually using ubuntu, but the instructions worked just the same and the wireless usb card works perfectly. Thanks so much for the in depth guide!

Linux Guru
    You're welcome, apantev. And Welcome to Linux Forums.