Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have installed Redhat 7.2 on a Dell 400Mhz to get to know Linux. I attempted to install Firefox and got this error message: ./firefox-installer-bin: error while loading shared libraries: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem installing Firefox on Redhat 7.2

I have installed Redhat 7.2 on a Dell 400Mhz to get to know Linux. I attempted to install Firefox and got this error message:

./firefox-installer-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What does this error mean? Is it because I am using an older version of Redhat? TIA

Just Joined!
    The file you need is provided by a package

you can get this package for Redhat 7.x from :

apt.kde-redhat.org/kde-redhat/redhat/7.3/RPMS.stable/gtk2-2.2.4-10.6.rh73.kde.i386.rpm

then install as root by:
    # rpm -ivh gtk2-2.2.4-10.6.rh73.kde.i386.rpm

while u r on the same dir which contains the package.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by crocodile1s
    The file you need is provided by a package

you can get this package for Redhat 7.x from :

ftp.ximian.com/pub/gnome-2-snapshot/redhat-73-i386/gtk2-2.2.0.0.200301250412-0.snap.ximian.1.i386.rpm

then install as root by:
    # rpm -ivh gtk2-2.2.0.0.200301250412-0.snap.ximian.1.i386.rpm

while u r on the same dir which contains the package.
    croc,
    Out of curiousity, did I somehow missed installing this package with 7.2 or is this an add-on?

Just Joined!
    It is just an addon but it is required for many applications so it is recomended u ve it installed.

I would also recommend getting the program APT (check the sig) so you can install software

#apt-get install firefox
    for example

Just Joined!
    I noticed that the link in the quote is different of what i typed so please refresh the page ..the link is different.

Just Joined!
    I was in hurry when i tried to help u (i regret it now!)..anyway u can search for the redhat rpm package urself.

Just Joined!
    I found this RPM:
    gtk2-2.2.0.0.200301250412-0.snap.ximian.1.i386.rpm

When I tried to install it, I received this error:
    error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES

So I went ahead and created the "missing" directory and was able to extract it. What do I do with the extracted gtk+-2.0.6.tar.gz and gtk2.spec files?

This feels so awkward - I have been working with Windoze environment for many years, but feel so helpless with Linux

Linux User

Re: Problem installing Firefox on Redhat 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead
    I have installed Redhat 7.2 on a Dell 400Mhz to get to know Linux. I attempted to install Firefox and got this error message:

./firefox-installer-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What does this error mean? Is it because I am using an older version of Redhat? TIA
    I believe there are 2 files "firefox-installer" and "firefox-installer-bin"

You're supposed to run "firefox-installer" (it's a script that executes the bin)
    --monkey

Just Joined!

Re: Problem installing Firefox on Redhat 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by monkey8
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead

I believe there are 2 files "firefox-installer" and "firefox-installer-bin"

You're supposed to run "firefox-installer" (it's a script that executes the bin)
    That's exactly what I did.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast