Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This is the message I'm stuck up with could anyone help me understand what is this? Very thanks in advance...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...

This is the message I'm stuck up with could anyone help me understand what is this?
    Very thanks in advance

Typicaly, that goes away in 60-90 seconds. In your case does this just keep happening endlessly? What does ps aux | grep yum show?
    Glenn
    Powered by Fedora

Linux User
    I'm not on Fedora but the error mesage seems quite clear. Some running application has locked the RPM database and yum can't start. It's probably another yum process. Try to find the process identifier and kill that process :

Code:
    ps -e | grep yum
    kill -SIGKILL <pid>
    If it's not another yum process, it may be hard to find out, just reboot if it's not a 24/7 server.
    0 + 1 = 1 != 2 <> 3 != 4 ...
    Until the camel can pass though the eye of the needle.

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
    Typicaly, that goes away in 60-90 seconds. In your case does this just keep happening endlessly? What does ps aux | grep yum show?
    Hey thanks for your response, but what does yum mean? I've no idea about what it is?

Yum is the tool to update the system, along with PackageKit. Yum is typically used from the command line. You see the message you are seeing quite often when you try to use yum to install something. For example,
    Code:
    yum install somepackage
    Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
    The message tends to repeat until the lock is released and then yum proceeds as expected. If you don't want to wait you can kill the process and then issue the yum install command.
    Glenn
    Powered by Fedora

It looks like yum update package is running in the background.
    Execute this in Terminal :
    Code:
    su -
    service yum-updatesd stop
    yum update
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    A bit more detail -

yum is an update manager for RedHat, Fedora, and other distibutions that use .rpm packages. The original version was written for Yellowdog Linux, so YUM originally stood for "Yellowdog Update Manager". The lock is a file or bit or byte set when a program is started to manage something, to keep another program from accessing the same resource (in this case packages).

The simplest way to solve this problem is to reboot, as locks will generally be unset after a boot - as someone else mentioned, this might not be a good way if the system is a server that other people or computers are depending on, but for a personal system that's generally ok.

No need to reboot as far as I'm concerned. Stop the process that is holding the lock and move on.
    Glenn