Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Unfortunately I am here again. I have installed RHEL5, solved the problems around it and started to set up the GRUB. I have set the menu.lst with simple rootnoverify (hd1,0) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] UNUSUAL Grub problem

Unfortunately I am here again. I have installed RHEL5, solved the problems around it and started to set up the GRUB. I have set the menu.lst with simple

rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    mkeactive
    chainloader +1

and tried to boot the Win7 on that partition. NO LOADER came up and since that moment
    Grub is only in "Minimal BASH-like line editing" mode. I have tried all of I have googled, nothing have worked. There is a problem with even finding /boot/grub/stage2, or anything else, grub won't let me mount any partition. Can anybody help please? I have followed all the threads there about this, none have helped. When I try to find any file, it says file not found...

It is important to say that all I did to cause this was change in menu.lst
    rootnoverify (hd1,1) to rootnoverify (hd1,0)m nothing else! I am desperate, there is no logic in this....

Just Joined!
    You haven't given a lot of info.

Are you saying you are not able to boot using GrUB's bash-like editing feature?

this sort of thing * should* work:

Code:
    rootnoverify <tab> <-- grub gives you options
    or
    Code:
    rootnoverify (hd<tab>  <-- and so forth
    if you can get to the bash-like part of the bootloader, you should be able to dope out the correct commands. Once you boot linux, you can correct /boot/grub/menu.lst (keep notes)

(did you notice there's a typo in what you posted? makes me think that might be the case in your menu.lst as well...)

good luck!
    Daniel
    PS: I am going to reboot and try this on my machine...

Just Joined!
    Okay, I'm back.

I had to type
    Code:
    rootnoverify (hd
    before hitting tab. Grub just filled in the '0,' (my one and only SATA HD)

another tab got me the full list of partitions on hd0 (all seven) several with unknown filesystems (like NTFS, which is what you're looking for, I believe), several with known (Linux) filesystems.

As I posted above, you can work your way through this with patience and good notes.

Daniel

RHEL5 is using GRUB Legacy and in you must use mapping in Legacy GRUB to boot up OS installed in Secondary Hard disk.
    Code:
    title Other OS
             rootnoverify(hd1,0)
             map (hd1) (hd0)
             map (hd0) (hd1)
             chainloader +1
    In case it doesn't work, post all the contents of grub.conf file and output of fdisk -l command here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

You didn't specify which version of Grub U R using.

Grub Classic is a different animal than Grub II. They don't setup in identical manner. The control files are different also.

Good Luck!

Thread started is using REHL6 and AFAIK, it still uses Legacy GRUB.

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys for the support, but there is a little problem with your suggestions, I cannot boot linux, the rootnoverify on all partitions were my first actions. Interesting thing is that I've tried to use Super Grub CD and it can do nothing with it either, it is unable to find any files it needs, or as I tried - any files at all.

I've worked with GRUB in the past, even did some rescues, but this is like nothing before. And all I did was changing one digit in the rootnoverify command. This has happend to me twice! First time I've given up and reinstall, but now I wanna solve it without it if possible. Last time that happends I have done exactly the same thing that caused it.

I need to say that I did not use the mapping when trying to boot win.

Now it is interesting, huh?

Could you post partition structure of your Hard disk(s)? You can use LiveCD of any Linux distro and execute fdisk -l command in Terminal/Konsole.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, that I've figured too, but I am at work so I have to download one and burn it, I am doing it right now, when done, I'll post the log. Thanks for helping me guys!

Just Joined!
    And there goes another problem! Please check my previous problem with xserver to understand it (can't post urls yet , but it is in this section below from yesterday ) So I cannot even load liveCD, I have chosen Ubuntu LiveCD, but it obviously cannot work in text mode, so there is a question - which one does?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast