Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to set up a script to run at startup. The script is done. The symbolic link is done but it will not show up in chkconfig at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] chkconfig help

I am trying to set up a script to run at startup. The script is done. The symbolic link is done but it will not show up in chkconfig at all. When I try to run chkconfig --add name it tells me that name is not supported by chkconfig.

I can get it started in the rc command but that does not show me the level it is at.

you need to put the file in the /etc/init.d directory. It has to match a specific format (syntax) for the first few lines that pass information to chkconfig. I'd recomend you copy the lines from another script, and modify it a bit. Then, you run

chkconfig --add scriptname
    and it will be absorbed and activated by chkconfig / service scripts.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your help. It took me a while (obviously) to get it to work but it works. Now I have to edit it so that it is MY script that it is running and not the one that I copied.

I appreciate your help.