Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am accessing a LINUX cluster machine via the internet from my PC. My PC is using Windows XP. To access the cluster I use VPN Client and PuTTY. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot see graphical output: Linux, WinXP, PuTTY, X11 forwarding

Hi, I am accessing a LINUX cluster machine via the internet from my PC. My PC is using Windows XP. To access the cluster I use VPN Client and PuTTY. I can access the cluster from my PC without any problems as long as only the command line and no graphical interface are involved. To allow for graphical interface I installed Xming and I enable X11 forwarding for PuTTY. However, the graphical interface/output of the program I am using (GrADS) does not appear. Instead I get the error message “Segmentation fault”.
    Does anyone know what what I need to do in order to see graphical interface/output via PUTTY?
    Thank you very much in advance. With kind regards, Chris.

can you open simple graphical application like xclock and verify that X forwarding is working properly? if so, then it would point to a problem with the application you are trying to run

Also, are you certain the appropriate X11 packages are installed on the system you're connecting to? If the app expects X, I suspect it would not have installed or built without the appropriate libraries available, but I suppose it is possible to have those libraries available without having the necessary X environment installed to allow the app to render.

Normally, when putty is misconfigured or the X stuff is not initialized correctly, the output is pretty clear that X is the problem. A "segmentation fault" sounds like some other issue with the app. Whenever I have setup what you are trying to use, all I do is install Xming, select "Enable X11 Forwarding" in PuTTY for whichever connection configuration I am using, run Xming, connect to the target system, and run the X app I am interested in.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Are you running the xlaunch component of Xming before starting putty? That's what gives you the Xwindows capability, running in the background. It's a "wizard" sort of interface, if you just click through it taking the defaults, it will start the service. Then start your putty session with X11 Forwarding, and your application should work. I use this all the time as a Linux engineer. Although I have a Linux box to the side in my office, policy and the applications I have to use dictate that my primary workstation is Windows, and it's more convenient to use Xming/putty than to turn to the Linux box. A bonus is that I can cut and paste from the Xming/putty sessions into Windows applications.

Just Joined!

xclock graphic visible. GrADS not.

Dear all,

Thank you for your helpful replies. I followed your advices: I ran the xlaunch component of Xming first but this had no effect. Then I evoked xclock. I can see the clock graphic! What does this mean? Does it mean that the error message is not related to the remote access, Xming and PuTTY at all? Could the error instead be related to the program I am using? I reinstalled my program of interest (GrADS) but this did not have any effect. I can evoke the program but it shuts down as soon as it should start the graphical interface and I remain receiving the message "Segmentation fault". By the way, GrADS does run in batch mode.
    Any other ideas? Thank you very much!

With kind regards,
    Chris.

Yes, given that scenario, it appears that your X11 Forwarding is working fine and that the problem is in the application. Since it runs in batch mode, there must be something awry in the graphical code in it, or with the libraries required to support it in graphical mode. Do you have any way of getting someone to test it from a graphical console on the server? That might yield more information; if it segfaults there, too, then there's no doubt it's not related to remote access.

there's already no doubt it isn't related to remote X access

xclock application runs successfully remotely, this problem is entirely with the application that OP is trying to run

Just Joined!

Thumbs up Issue solved: incompatability with OS

Dear all,

Yes, I was on the complete wrong track. Remote X access was not the problem. The problem was that my program version (GrADS) was not compatible with the OS installed on the Linux machine. I now installed a compatible version and everything works fine. Sorry, this was a very stupid error of mine. Thank you very much for your help!

With kind regards,
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    there's already no doubt it isn't related to remote X access

xclock application runs successfully remotely, this problem is entirely with the application that OP is trying to run
    Agreed. But there can be remote vs. local access application issues unrelated to X.

Good to see that OP determined it was an application issue, doesn't matter now.