Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im not sure if that is the correct command... but I had to run that in class today and it KILLED my system... When I try to boot up I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry fsck??

Im not sure if that is the correct command... but

I had to run that in class today and it KILLED my system... When I try to boot up I get sleeping for ever...

What happened?

fsck command checks File system integrity only. It checks and repair file systems.

When I try to boot up I get sleeping for ever..
    What do you mean by sleeping? Does it throw any error message?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    That was the message.
    When I ran it..
    1. it gave the warning
    2. I told it to do it anyway as that was the assignment in class
    3. It told me I had an error and it was going to fix it, it also said that THIS CAN NOT BE DONE IT WILL CAUSE ... as you can see I dont have it up still.
    4. Then it froze, I tried to exit the terminal but it wouldnt let me, I had no control over any aspect of the computer.
    5. The only way to get control was a hard reboot.
    6. When it came back up it said I had to specify an OS then said will sleep forever... or something along those lines.

I have already reinstalled the system so I can start from scratch. I am just curious why this happened if anyone else has any info on it. I am anal about backups so that is not an issue and it was a good learning experience for me.. BUT lol

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    there is a warning message for a reason, you shouldn't run fsck on a mounted filesystem

Just Joined!
    That explains why mine is the only system it crashed. I was the only one running a mounted version, everyone else is running it virtually.

What is it about a mounted system that causes it to do that?

fsck checks integrity of filesystem and fix errors, if there are any. A mounted partitions might have a lot of open files and running fsck on it might corrupt those files. If mount partition is /, result could be worst.
    A few distros do not allow running fsck on mounted system.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    fsck checks integrity of filesystem and fix errors, if there are any. A mounted partitions might have a lot of open files and running fsck on it might corrupt those files. If mount partition is /, result could be worst.
    A few distros do not allow running fsck on mounted system.
    Thank you, but why would it NOT crash a virtual machine then? Just trying to understand the problem so I understand why to not do it again.. not that I plan on doing it again anyway.

they probably did it with the filesystem unmounted, which is the correct and safe way to run the command