Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Extending primary partition in linux

HI,

I have installed oracle entreprise linux on VM ware with 20 gb allocated to guest OS.

Now i want to install oracle apps in the guest Os, so i need to extend the volume.

I have extended in Vm , but i have to partition in the guest OS, for that purpose i am using Gparted. But i am unable to extend to sda1 .

i need to have all the unallocation space allocated to sda1.

here is the screen shot, how can i do that.

Right now when in press the command df -h in terminal i am gettig 18 gb as space availble for sda1, i want to make it 200 gb ,in which i would like to install oracle apps.

Check out my screen shot.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

/dev/sda1 is a /boot partition and there is no need to extend it because /boot partition contains kernel and boot configs only. 101MB space is more than enough for /boot.

/dev/sda2 is LVM. LVM contains Logical Volumes. You can allocate unpartitioned, free space to Logical Volumes in LVM. Most of partition manager including GParted do not support LVM. You have to resize it manually using commands or check if LVM Manager with Graphical Interface is available for your distro. It's available for RHEL.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thank u, it helps a lot....i am scratching my head as i am new to linux..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    /dev/sda1 is a /boot partition and there is no need to extend it because /boot partition contains kernel and boot configs only. 101MB space is more than enough for /boot.

/dev/sda2 is LVM. LVM contains Logical Volumes. You can allocate unpartitioned, free space to Logical Volumes in LVM. Most of partition manager including GParted do not support LVM. You have to resize it manually using commands or check if LVM Manager with Graphical Interface is available for your distro. It's available for RHEL.
    Do i need to insatll any thing in linux ? i am unable to find the right one and how to resize th LVM

I have never used Oracle Enterprise Linux. First of all, check LVM Manager in its Package Manager. Install it if its available there. Its really easy to add space to Logical Volumes using LVM Manager.
    In case, you couldn't find it, I will post instructions for command line management.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    I have never used Oracle Enterprise Linux. First of all, check LVM Manager in its Package Manager. Install it if its available there. Its really easy to add space to Logical Volumes using LVM Manager.
    In case, you couldn't find it, I will post instructions for command line management.
    finally i am able to do with your help.....thanks