Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm a newbie to the world of yum. I've looked around for examples of how to add a repository to my yum installation. I tried creating /etc//yum.repos.d/dag.repo as follows: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to add a repo to yum in RHEL 5

Hi, I'm a newbie to the world of yum. I've looked around for examples of how to add a repository to my yum installation. I tried creating /etc//yum.repos.d/dag.repo as follows:

I have to play some trickery to post the file here, so please understand. linuxforums won't let me put "urls to another site" in this email. sooo....I had to remove the first part of the URL to confuse the linuxforum parser. Sorry for this, I don't know another way.
    header="h-t-t-p://"

[dag]
    name=Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    baseurl=${header}apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/$basearch/dag
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=${header}dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt
    enabled=1

However, when I run yumex, it gives the following error:
    17:30:14 : Failure getting ${header}apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/i386/dag/repodata/primary.xml.gz:
    17:30:14 : --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
    17:30:14 : Trying other mirror.
    17:30:20 : failure: repodata/primary.xml.gz from dag: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Can someone give me a walk-through for this? Thanks! Remember, I'm new to this, so I'd really appreciate explicit command line kind of help. Thank you

Hi and Welcome !

Instead of creating repo file manually, install its rpm. Follow instructions from here to install DAG repo.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Hi and Welcome !

Instead of creating repo file manually, install its rpm. Follow instructions from htp:dag.wieers.com/rpm/FAQ.php#B to install DAG repo.
    I did that, and still get a bunch of (URLS munged to defeat forum filter)

17:09:05 : Failure getting $htp://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/i386/rpmforge/repodata/primary.xml.gz:
    17:09:05 : --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
    17:09:05 : Trying other mirror.
    17:09:13 : Failure getting $htp:/ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/dag/redhat/el5/en/i386/rpmforge/repodata/primary.xml.gz:
    17:09:13 : --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
    17:09:13 : Trying other mirror.
    17:09:13 : Failure getting $htp:/fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/dag/redhat/el5/en/i386/rpmforge/repodata/primary.xml.gz:
    17:09:13 : --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
    17:09:13 : Trying other mirror.
    17:09:14 : Failure getting $htp:/apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/i386/rpmforge/repodata/primary.xml.gz:
    17:09:14 : --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
    17:09:14 : Trying other mirror.
    17:09:14 : Failure getting $htp:/ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/dag/redhat/el5/en/i386/rpmforge/repodata/primary.xml.gz:
    17:09:14 : --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
    17:09:14 : Trying other mirror.
    17:09:15 : Failure getting $htp:/fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/dag/redhat/el5/en/i386/rpmforge/repodata/primary.xml.gz:
    17:09:15 : --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
    17:09:15 : Trying other mirror.
    17:09:16 : failure: repodata/primary.xml.gz from rpmforge: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Is Internet connection working fine? Are you behind proxy?
    Post the contents of repo file here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I believe the problem is solved! Your third question about the contents of the repo file made me think it through.

Post the contents of repo file here.
    There are several. I installed the rpm mentioned earlier in the thread and it seems to have made several. I believe it's the rpmforge.repo file that is triggering this problem... aha! I moved it out of the way and now it looks like things are working! Awesome. My foray into the world of yum just got a bit yummier.
    Thanks.