Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Figured out what was wrong with my TV tuner card...SVideo and Composite in work fine. However, after running a few diagnostics, the Tuner has gone bad (will not even operate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

BTW...

Figured out what was wrong with my TV tuner card...SVideo and Composite in work fine. However, after running a few diagnostics, the Tuner has gone bad (will not even operate in Windoze...in fact, locks it up). Time to get another cheapie, I suppose.

Too, can not get the TV out (SVideo or Composite) to operate on my video card (S3 Inc. 86C410 Savage 2000 with 64 RAM per the hardware browser). Not a big issue, just an annoyance.

Just Joined!

FC3...Success

Well, everything (except the tuner card and SVideo out on the display card) is working like a charm!

LTSP installation, setup and initialization was 100% error-free and painless (<whew!> the entire family is grateful for that...no cursing and shouting coming from the den ).

Too, just learned my employer is setting up approx. 5 workstations with Linux as the OS for testing, etc. (I've requested one be on my desk) We already run with a pure Unix server and he wants to get rid of licensing "outrageous fees", etc. Isn't life in the GNU world just grand...

Just Joined!
    Hello Apexdev,
    Could you plz tell me how did you go about reinstalling LTSP on your home network after the upgrade?
    I am in the same boat as I have to upgrade hardware, now the new hardware needs newer os due to support issues so I decided to get FC3.
    So I need to move my LTSP 3 based n/w to FC3 now.
    Any Gotchas I should be aware of? What about Xorg & XF86?
    Any help/suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!

LTSP

Quote Originally Posted by kmkale
    Hello Apexdev,
    Could you plz tell me how did you go about reinstalling LTSP on your home network after the upgrade?
    I am in the same boat as I have to upgrade hardware, now the new hardware needs newer os due to support issues so I decided to get FC3.
    So I need to move my LTSP 3 based n/w to FC3 now.
    Any Gotchas I should be aware of? What about Xorg & XF86?
    Any help/suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    I ended up reverting back to a clean install due to so many "small" bugs popping up. Due to this, I just re-downloaded the LTSP packages (which are now at v 4.1) and performing a standard install. The latest version of LTSP does not use XFree86, rather, Xorg which was installed from my FC3 cd's.

There are quite a few features now included with the latest version (was a sep. d/l before). Here's a link to the page showing the changes: http://www.ltsp.org/ltsp-4.1.html . Things like sound not working correctly from KDE and local client cd-rom and floppy support are now included (instead of having to patch).

I would recommend using apt http://apt.freshrpms.net/ (I use it via the GUI, Synaptic http://freshmeat.net/projects/synaptic/) or yum to satisfy any dependancies (dhcpd, Xorg libraries, etc) before attempting the install. That made it pretty much painless. for me.

As far as the hardware requirement for the "thin-clients", there is expanded support for monitors, printers, etc. Still all you really need is a PI with 32 MB RAM and a standard VGA CRT (I use Compaq Despro 4000's, 233Mhz, 32-64 MB RAM, Logitech USB scrollmouse, Logitech PS2 keybrds, 3com NIC's using the "Tornado" driver, std floppy, Philips 107MB 17" CRT, Hitachi 15" LCD, no hard-drives...all of which auto-detect and configure when booted.) These clients would probably not even fetch $50 street value but, run like champs on our little home network, although, I have been told even those may be overkill as a thin-client. http://search.ebay.com/compaq-deskpr...jsZ1QQfromZR40

The "server" is a stock HP Vectra VL400 Desktop, 933 Mhz, 512 MB RAM, on-board NIC (3com Tornado driver)/sound and run for well-under $200-$300 on e-bay (http://search.ebay.com/HP-Vectra-VL4...jsZ1QQfromZR40).

This is basically my home-LTSP set-up. Not much to it. Just make sure to include all your workstations in the ltsp.conf file and go step-by-step per the instructions and you should be fine.

Good LUck,

Apexdv

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the detailed patient reply.

Will do a clean install.

Just Joined!

Clean Install / LTSP

Quote Originally Posted by kmkale
    Thank you for the detailed patient reply.

Will do a clean install.
    Let me know how it goes. I'm still a newbie but, will try to point you in the right direction if you need help.

Good luck and Have fun!
    Apexdv

P.S.- Please, be sure to have a pot of coffee ready for the LTSP install. If you've installed it before then you know what I mean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2