Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am currently using RH 8 and am in the process of downloading the FC3 iso's for an upgrade. I have made sure all packages on my current OS are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RedHat 8 to Fedora FC3 Upgrade Suggestions

I am currently using RH 8 and am in the process of downloading the FC3 iso's for an upgrade. I have made sure all packages on my current OS are upgraded to the latest possible and have removed any that are not really needed.

Any suggestions, tips, etc I should know about for the upgrade?

Specs: HP Vectra VL400, 933 MHz, 512MB RAM, 80 GIG HD (split into two 40's: one is Windoze 2K for dual booting), bt878-based capture card (TV Tuner), CM8738-based PCI audio card, 3Com 3c905C-TX/TX-M Tornado 10/100 (on motherboard) with DSL connection, Savage 2000 Pro-64MB PCI Video......is that enough for the specs?

Thanks all!

P.S. - I've been using Linux since Jan of this year (04) and have only had to boot into Windoze about once per week, now (almost seems a waste of hard-drive space!). I love it! I was a complete newbie and have found everything I needed in forums around the net. Linux rocks!

You should be safe, though it is quite a big jump. I would do a comprehensive backup (configs, docs, other non-replaceabl things) first just to be on the safe side.

OT - whereabouts in ATL do you reside?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!

ATL Area...

Decatur near the perimeter/beltway...just moved here about a week ago from Virginia.

RH8 to FC3: would it be better to upgrade to RH9 (are the iso's still available?) then move on to FC3, instead? I used apt to complete a "distribution upgrade" for my RH8 so . . .

Any "potential" issues I should be aware of first?...just for a heads-up

I'm now onto disc 3 of FC3 and performing each download during the early morning (12am on) so as not to be a bandwidth hog to the family.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I don't know of any issues with this upgrade...you may want to check RH's site for specifics. But I would go ahead and do it after backing up personal files and stuff.

OT - That's cool...I live about an hourish from you then. I'm on the NW side - Dallas.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    I suggest using a clean new install instead of upgrade. Backup all your docs, files, especially some .conf files.

Just Joined!

FC3 installed . . .

Okay...the upgrade process is complete! woo hoo!

Only a few things that do not seem to be working correctly, now:

Squid (just had to adjust a setting in the conf) is working fine, now

Synaptic and apt - downloaded and upgraded apt but, Synaptic still will not work, and I haven't found a version that states it supports FC-bummer, I really liked the GUI

Sound events within KDE and Gnome are not working although, XMMS plays CDs/MP3s just fine. Hmmm.

XawTV: will only display via a composite or SVideo connection, not through the TV tuner. I have removed and installed the latest version but still no luck (not that important).

DVD:Rip-can't get transcode to install at all-something about dependancies that cqan not be installed. dunno...still kinda newbie at this.

Later!

Just Joined!
    here's a copy of the apt-get output for synaptic (it's all Greek to me! LOL)...

[root@minerva Surfer]# apt-get install synaptic
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    Xtest: Depends: XFree86 (>= 4.2.0) but it is not installable
    cWnn: Depends: FreeWnn-common but it is not installable
    cWnn-common: Depends: FreeWnn-common but it is not installable
    galeon: Depends: mozilla (= 35:1.0.2) but 37:1.7.3-17 is to be installed
    glibc-debug-static: Depends: glibc (= 2.3.2-4.80. but 2.3.3-74 is to be installed
    Depends: glibc-devel (= 2.3.2-4.80. but 2.3.3-74 is to be installed
    gtkam-gimp: Depends: libgimp-1.2.so.0 but it is not installable
    Depends: libgimpui-1.2.so.0 but it is not installable
    gtkglarea: Depends: XFree86 (>= 4.0) but it is not installable
    imap: Depends: libcom_err.so.3 but it is not installable
    Depends: libcrypto.so.2
    Depends: libssl.so.2
    kWnn: Depends: FreeWnn-common but it is not installable
    kaboodle: Obsoletes: kdemultimedia but 6:3.3.0-2 is to be installed
    kdeaddons-konqueror: Depends: libkonqsidebarplugin.so.0 but it is not installable
    kdebindings-kmozilla: Depends: libdcopc.so.1 but it is not installable
    Depends: libgtkxparts.so.0 but it is not installable
    Depends: libkdexparts.so.1 but it is not installable
    kdemultimedia-arts: Obsoletes: kdemultimedia but 6:3.3.0-2 is to be installed
    kdemultimedia-kfile: Obsoletes: kdemultimedia but 6:3.3.0-2 is to be installed
    kdemultimedia-libs: Obsoletes: kdemultimedia but 6:3.3.0-2 is to be installed
    kdenetwork-libs: Obsoletes: kdenetwork but 7:3.3.0-5 is to be installed
    kdesdk-kapptemplate: Obsoletes: kdesdk but 3.3.0-1 is to be installed
    kdesdk-kbabel: Obsoletes: kdesdk but 3.3.0-1 is to be installed
    kdesdk-kbugbuster: Obsoletes: kdesdk but 3.3.0-1 is to be installed
    kdesdk-kmtrace: Obsoletes: kdesdk but 3.3.0-1 is to be installed
    kdesdk-kompare: Obsoletes: kdesdk but 3.3.0-1 is to be installed
    kdesdk-kspy: Obsoletes: kdesdk but 3.3.0-1 is to be installed
    kdict: Obsoletes: kdenetwork but 7:3.3.0-5 is to be installed
    kernel-ntfs#2.4.18-14: Depends: kernel (= 2.4.18-14)
    kmail: Depends: kdenetwork-libs (= 3.0.5a-1) but 7:3.0.5a-1 is to be installed
    Obsoletes: kdenetwork but 7:3.3.0-5 is to be installed
    kmid: Obsoletes: kdemultimedia but 6:3.3.0-2 is to be installed
    kmidi: Obsoletes: kdemultimedia but 6:3.3.0-2 is to be installed
    kmix: Obsoletes: kdemultimedia but 6:3.3.0-2 is to be installed
    knewsticker: Depends: kdenetwork-libs (= 3.0.5a-1) but 7:3.0.5a-1 is to be installed
    knode: Depends: kdenetwork-libs (= 3.0.5a-1) but 7:3.0.5a-1 is to be installed
    kpf: Obsoletes: kdenetwork but 7:3.3.0-5 is to be installed
    kscd: Obsoletes: kdemultimedia but 6:3.3.0-2 is to be installed
    ksirc: Obsoletes: kdenetwork but 7:3.3.0-5 is to be installed
    ktalkd: Obsoletes: kdenetwork but 7:3.3.0-5 is to be installed
    kxmlrpcd: Obsoletes: kdenetwork but 7:3.3.0-5 is to be installed
    libcapplet0-devel: Depends: libcapplet0 (= 1.4.0.1) but 1:1.4.0.1-9 is to be installed
    libgnomeprint: PreDepends: XFree86 but it is not installable
    libgtop-devel: Depends: libgtop (= 1.0.12) but 1:1.0.12-11 is to be installed
    libgtop-examples: Depends: libgtop (= 1.0.12) but 1:1.0.12-11 is to be installed
    Depends: libguile.so.9 but it is not installable
    Depends: libqthreads.so.0 but it is not installable
    librep-devel: Depends: librep (= 0.16) but 1:0.16-3 is to be installed
    licq: Depends: libcrypto.so.2
    lisa: Obsoletes: kdenetwork but 7:3.3.0-5 is to be installed
    noatun: Obsoletes: kdemultimedia but 6:3.3.0-2 is to be installed
    php-manual: PreDepends: php (= 4.2.2-8.0. but 4.3.9-3 is to be installed
    pine: Depends: libcom_err.so.3 but it is not installable
    Depends: libcrypto.so.2
    Depends: liblber.so.2
    Depends: libldap.so.2
    qt-Xt: Depends: qt (= 1:3.0.5-17) but 1:3.3.3-8 is to be installed
    qt2-Xt: Depends: qt2 (= 2.3.1- but 1:2.3.1-8 is to be installed
    qt2-designer: Depends: qt2-devel (= 2.3.1- but 1:2.3.1-8 is to be installed
    qt2-devel: Depends: qt2 (= 2.3.1- but 1:2.3.1-8 is to be installed
    qt2-static: Depends: qt2-devel (= 2.3.1- but 1:2.3.1-8 is to be installed
    rpm2html: Depends: librpm-4.1.so but it is not installable
    Depends: librpmdb-4.1.so but it is not installable
    Depends: librpmio-4.1.so but it is not installable
    tWnn: Depends: FreeWnn-common but it is not installable
    wu-ftpd: Depends: libcrypto.so.2
    xine-ui: Depends: libcurl.so.2 but it is not installable
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Just Joined!

XTerm

Just wondering how your x-term situation is working out? Having some headaches, too, on the behavior under X (with, in my case, a Radeon 7000).

Just Joined!

Upgrade...

Other than the issue listed above everything went well except...

The GNome and KDE desktops were really weird.. "link to old Desktop", etc. It stated something about the default locations being changed. To make a long story short, I ended up just doing a clean install.

With the clean install, there is not one single problem and all the apps including DVD::Rip run perfectly. Synaptic and yum even work like a charm and have been assisting me with keeping my system up to date. One thing, though...

I forgot to include KDE in the install. Oy Vay... GNome is great, fast, small footprint, etc however, I like using KDE as well.

Is it a simple process installing KDE to my Gnome-Only system?

One other thing...After the near-perfect installation, I was unable to access the XP boxes on my home network. Hmmm. I disabled the M$ firewalls and was then able to see them and access them but, only as root. I then disabled my Linux firewall and Shazaam! networking perfectly! I am not too "up" on firewall settings (i.e.-chains, etc...all Greek to me) so I am relying on the hardware firewall of my DSL router for now until I figure it out.

Other than these, everything is fine including using Squid and the dual-boot scenario into Win on the same HD. <patting myself on the back>

After figuring out the firewall setting for a network-friendly set-up I am going to reinstall LTSP (I had LTSP set-up on the RH8 side) to get the kitchen and den terminals back on-line. It was pretty straight-forward on RH8 and I hope it to be even easier in FC3.

Am I now qualified to be deemed as a "Professional Newbie"?

Just Joined!

Upgrade...

Other than the issue listed above everything went well except...

The GNome and KDE desktops were really weird.. "link to old Desktop", etc. It stated something about the default locations being changed. To make a long story short, I ended up just doing a clean install.

With the clean install, there is not one single problem and all the apps including DVD::Rip run perfectly. Synaptic and yum even work like a charm and have been assisting me with keeping my system up to date. One thing, though...

I forgot to include KDE in the install. Oy Vay... GNome is great, fast, small footprint, etc however, I like using KDE as well.

Is it a simple process installing KDE to my Gnome-Only system?

One other thing...After the near-perfect installation, I was unable to access the XP boxes on my home network. Hmmm. I disabled the M$ firewalls and was then able to see them and access them but, only as root. I then disabled my Linux firewall and Shazaam! networking perfectly! I am not too "up" on firewall settings (i.e.-chains, etc...all Greek to me) so I am relying on the hardware firewall of my DSL router for now until I figure it out.

Other than these, everything is fine including using Squid and the dual-boot scenario into Win on the same HD. <patting myself on the back>

After figuring out the firewall setting for a network-friendly set-up I am going to reinstall LTSP (I had LTSP set-up on the RH8 side) to get the kitchen and den terminals back on-line. It was pretty straight-forward on RH8 and I hope it to be even easier in FC3.

Am I now qualified to be deemed as a "Professional Newbie"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast