Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I was searching on google for syncing my iphone 3gs in linux. I have seen many forums which say that Rhythmbox and gtkpod are able to sync iphone but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Sync iphone 3gs(os4.0.1)

Hi,

I was searching on google for syncing my iphone 3gs in linux. I have seen many forums which say that Rhythmbox and gtkpod are able to sync iphone but I did not find any of them to be very helpful in my case. Can some one help me out in syncing iphone in linux so that I don't have to boot to windows.

Thanks

Apple makes it difficult to sync their products with linux, but there is a new-ish software library, libmobiledevice, that can do it.

Looks like you're using Fedora? Which version? I'm fairly certain the Fedora 13 should have this out of the box.

Linux Newbie
    I am using fedora 12. Can you tell me the steps to sync my iphone

I don't use Apple products - never even touched an iPhone, so I couldn't say for sure, but I think you just need to install libimobiledevice.

Code:
    su -
    yum install libimobiledevice

Linux Newbie
    Seems like I had already installed that. I am not sure how to mess around with iphone in linux

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Without going thru incredible contortions, your best bet is to run Windows in a VM on linux to sync up your iPhone. With VirtualBox (proprietary, not open source version) you can set it up to pass thru the usb port that you connect your iPhone to. However, this does mean that you need a Windows license...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!