Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Why are some files converted to TARs, then compressed using GZIP? Why aren't they just compressed using GZIP instead of first converting them to TARs? I just created some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Advantages of using TAR.GZ vs. GZ

Hi,

Why are some files converted to TARs, then compressed using GZIP? Why aren't they just compressed using GZIP instead of first converting them to TARs? I just created some TAR.GZ and GZ files using PeaZip, and the size of each file was the same.

Thanks,

Richard

Hello

tar is a tool used for gathering many files into a single big one. So when you use gzip to a .tar file you are compressing a single file rather many smaller files.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Just Joined!
    ok. Thanks.

many files (especialy text) will compress better if compressed as 1 big file, instead of many smaller ones. I'm no expert on compression .... but these guys claim to be.
    howstuffworks

If you're just putting 1 file into a tar, then gzipping it, you're going to get (roughly) the same size. but tarring many files, and your compression ration will be better than all files compressed seperately, because of more patterns that repeat.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4