Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi to all,I have recently installed Fedora core 3 on my computer.I have it dual booting with Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2.My problem is this,I have been trying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KERNEL-2.6.9-1.667

Hi to all,I have recently installed Fedora core 3 on my computer.I have it dual booting with Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2.My problem is this,I have been trying to recompile the kernel.I have downloaded the kernel-2.6.9-1.src.rpm from the Fedora website and used the command rpm -ivh to install it.It seems to install fine but the folder linux doesn't show up! I have read the insructions on the Fedora Core website and that doesn't seem to Help.I have read a couple of forum articles and one of says that there is another rpm source for the kernel that i'm using at mo.Does anybody know where I can download it from or any other help would be useful.

Yours Faithfully,Steve

Linux User

Re: KERNEL-2.6.9-1.667

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE555
    Hi to all,I have recently installed Fedora core 3 on my computer.I have it dual booting with Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2.My problem is this,I have been trying to recompile the kernel.I have downloaded the kernel-2.6.9-1.src.rpm from the Fedora website and used the command rpm -ivh to install it.It seems to install fine but the folder linux doesn't show up! I have read the insructions on the Fedora Core website and that doesn't seem to Help.I have read a couple of forum articles and one of says that there is another rpm source for the kernel that i'm using at mo.Does anybody know where I can download it from or any other help would be useful.

Yours Faithfully,Steve
    Isn't the source tree available under /usr/src/linux-* ????
    The Unforgiven
    Registered Linux User #358564

Just Joined!
    HI it doesn't seem to be,all I have is the folder redhat! even after I installed the rpm,I checked it afterwards and the linux folder hasn't shown up

Just Joined!
    Hi to all, I have resolved my problem on my own by doing a bit of trail and error.
    Here is what I did,
    1)Download the file kernel-2.6.9-1.667.src.rpm
    2)open up a terminal(I use Terminal Program Super User Mode)and cd to where you have downloaded the rpm.
    3)Issue the command rpm -i -vv kernel-2.6.9-1.667.src.rpm(the -vv option gives lots of information of what rpm is doing)
    4)cd into /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
    5)Issue the command rpmbuild -bp -vv --target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec(or which arch is displayed by using the command uname -a)
    6)Next go into /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9
    7)once there issue the command make mrproper to remove any old modules
    Then issue the command make xconfig to customise your kernel
    9) save your customisation and issue the command make modules(which will take sometime to complete)
    10)After that issue the command make modules_install install
    11)the final command is make bzImage,after that the kernel should be installed,reboot to make sure it is working.You can always boot into the old kernel if it doesn't.

Those are the steps I took to recompile my kernel.I am inside it now writing this reply to my own problem I don't profess to be an expert,but I hope that the information that I have given would be able to help someone,STEVE

Just Joined!

Compiling Fedora Core 3 kernel -- success!

Thanks for your post.
    I followed the steps you wrote and it all worked fine.
    By the way, where did you get these instructions?

jfelix

Just Joined!

All of your loopback devicez are in use

Hi STEVE555

i followed you steps and after i make the command 'make modules_install install' i am getting this error message ...

All of your loopback devicez are in use
    mkinitrd failed
    make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
    make: *** [install] Error 2

any ideas ?

thanks.

Just Joined!

All of your loopback devices are in use

sorry ... the error is

All of your loopback devices are in use
    mkinitrd failed
    make[1]: *** [install] Error 1