Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sir, I am trying to install red hat linux 9 on my compaq laptop cq40 series 2 gb ram 250 gb harddisk dual core processor . during installation i am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arrow red hat linux 9

Sir,

I am trying to install red hat linux 9 on my compaq laptop cq40 series 2 gb ram 250 gb harddisk dual core processor . during installation i am having a problem in driver seletion though i have tried all the options under it but it doesnn't accept any of it..
    can u please suggest me someway!

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Note that Red Hat 9 is almost 8 years old, so you might run into driver issues if you are using modern computer hardware. I'd recommend trying a later release of Red Hat or some other distribution if at all possible.
    oz

As ozar suggested already, go for latest version of any distro. Check this Poll on Fav distro for new users.

If you want to install RedHat based distro only then try Fedora or CentOS. Both are RedHat based and free to download/install.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hello Rahul,

Just go to your BIOS, there in the 'Drive Configuration' check the 'Drive Type (or similar)' it must be "SATA only", change this to "IDE/SATA" and save the configuration. Next time when you boot from the CD it won't get such conflicts like "Select a Drive Type".

Perhaps the latest systems (Desktop/Laptop) comes with such default configuration and need to reconfigured for some generic working/settings.

Hope this will solve your problem.