Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, im running centos 4.4final and i have glibc, and glibc_common installed on version 2_3.. Im trying to install the 2_9 rpm, but it says that it conflicts with 2_3, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Updating glibc and glibc_common?

Hey, im running centos 4.4final and i have glibc, and glibc_common installed on version 2_3..
    Im trying to install the 2_9 rpm, but it says that it conflicts with 2_3, how can i upgrade the 2_3 to 2_9? i tryed using yum update glinc / glibc_common, and yum install, didnt work.

Thanks.

Short answer, you don't. You would break your system. Glibc is the standard C library and you would need to rebuild a good chunk of your system against an updated version.

If you must upgrade it, I recommend installing a more current version of RHEL. If you do not have a RHEL subscription, I would recommend moving to a RHEL clone like Scientific Linux or CentOS.

Just Joined!
    Im currently on centos,
    And the problem is, when i run yum update it writes this:

Error: Missing Dependency: rtld(GNU_HASH) is needed by package perl-Net-SSLeay
    Error: Missing Dependency: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4) is needed by package perl-Compre ss-Raw-Zlib
    Error: Missing Dependency: perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.8. is needed by package perl- Crypt-OpenSSL-RSA
    Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.6 is needed by package perl-Crypt-OpenSS L-RSA
    -Zlib
    Error: Missing Dependency: perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.8. is needed by package perl- Error
    Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.6 is needed by package perl-Net-SSLeay
    Error: Missing Dependency: perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.8. is needed by package perl- version
    Error: Missing Dependency: rtld(GNU_HASH) is needed by package perl-Crypt-OpenSS L-RSA
    Error: Missing Dependency: libssl.so.6 is needed by package perl-Net-SSLeay
    -Bzip2
    Error: Missing Dependency: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4) is needed by package perl-versio n

Error: Missing Dependency: rtld(GNU_HASH) is needed by package perl-Crypt-OpenSS L-Random
    Error: Missing Dependency: libssl.so.6 is needed by package perl-Crypt-OpenSSL-R andom
    Error: Missing Dependency: perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.8. is needed by package
    Im currently on centos 4.4final, i know its old, i just cant upgrade because of all the things i have there, is there a way to fix this? as you can see rtld(GNU_HASH) -> from the glibc..( I got like 40 messages, but the forum "anti spam" is alittle buggy here so it detects what i wrote as "smiles".)

Edit: The simple thing that i need is to install X Window server, is there a special pack for EL4, because the yum groupinstall DOESNT Work, even the yum update doesnt work..

What repositories do you have enabled?

It looks as though you've tried to install something built for a later version of centos.

EDIT: If you hit "Go Advanced", there's an option to disable smilies in the text.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    What repositories do you have enabled?

It looks as though you've tried to install something built for a later version of centos.

EDIT: If you hit "Go Advanced", there's an option to disable smilies in the text.
    I need the X window server so i can use VNC server, to control my vmware..
    I dont need the GUI itself, i can run vmware-server-console and it will work without one, but I cant install it, even yum update wont work..

And i have RPMFORGE enabled besides the normal ones.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by whyzex View Post
    I need the X window server so i can use VNC server, to control my vmware..
    I dont need the GUI itself, i can run vmware-server-console and it will work without one, but I cant install it, even yum update wont work..

And i have RPMFORGE enabled besides the normal ones.
    Ok i disabled RPMFROGE and EPEL and now yum update gives me one error: missing depencies bind, where can i find it?
    X window server works, Harrey

Do
    Code:
    yum clean all
    yum update
    HowTos/VNC-Server - CentOS Wiki