Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
case1:-- i hav configured samba share in RHEL 5.4 , it can be accessable from other linux machine but i want to access it from windows machine, how can i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up [SOLVED] mount samba share to windos and linux

case1:--
    i hav configured samba share in RHEL 5.4 , it can be accessable from other linux machine
    but i want to access it from windows machine, how can i do it?
    i also want want to know that in RHEL my partitions are in ext3 format, so how can windows can detect this partition,
    Is samba share is independent of filesystem on either machines

case2:---
    i hav configured samba on windows server 2008 , how can i mount it on linux machine

PLS GUYS HELP ME

Linux Newbie
    Windows will only recognize ntfs or fat type file systems. So most likely what your gonna have to do is back up info change the partition to NTFS and put that info back on it.
    Last edited by donaldfarkas; 08-31-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Just Joined!
    from winds: start>run>\\<lsamba server ip>\<samba share name>

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by donaldfarkas View Post
    Windows will only recognize ntfs or fat type file systems. So most likely what your gonna have to do is back up info change the partition to NTFS and put that info back on it.
    HEY!!! TEL ME MAN HOW CAN WE FORMAT NTFS FILE SYSTEM IN LINUX ??????? FIRST UNDERSTAND QUESTIONS THEN GIVE SOLn
    Try to ans this poor fellow don't confuse them .

Linux Newbie
    there usualy is a partition editor installed from the live cd i just installed it so im not exactly 100% sure its there but it should be under Systems> (make sure you back up your data to another hard drive before you partition it, it will EREASE everything of that hard drive.)

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by zafarh View Post
    HEY!!! TEL ME MAN HOW CAN WE FORMAT NTFS FILE SYSTEM IN LINUX ??????? FIRST UNDERSTAND QUESTIONS THEN GIVE SOLn
    Try to ans this poor fellow don't confuse them .
    Doesnt matter what he does until he changes the partion to NTFS windows will never recognize it.

thats not true, there are ext3 drivers for windows so they can read it

samba cares not about the underlying filesystem, it doesn't matter

if you need to directly read a disk with ext3 on it from windows, you need a driver for it, there is no need to change to NTFS

Just Joined!
    when i configured, i didn't face much problem. I configured samba in RHEL 5.1 and created necessary shares and samba users. I made sure that the SELinux context is fine with the actual share. Finally, I accessed the RHEL machine from Windows (My network places). Using the samba username and password (which is not the same as Linux username and password), i was able to read and write into shares. My partitions were in ext3 and i accessed them using NTFS, no problem whatsoever.

try to access the linux machine from 'my network places' in windows..should work if the configuration is correct

Just Joined!

Talking

Thanksssssssss guys for ur answers....

problem is solved......

Just Joined!
    May I ask how was the problem solved?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast