Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a need for a complete software list off of an existing RHEL 5 system. I need this list to compare software installed to software on a government approved ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question A complete Software listing for a RHEL5 box (NOT an RPM/package dump)

I have a need for a complete software list off of an existing RHEL 5 system.

I need this list to compare software installed to software on a government approved software list to ensure the compliance of this system.

I was given an RPM Dump, listing all the 2000+ packages on the system... This does not translate to the Government Approved software list that I have to compare to.

I do not have access to this system myself, so what ever method is prescribed for extracting the list I will have to pass along.

What I need is either:

1) A way to convert an RPM Package dump to actual software names and versions, etc.

OR

2) A method to extract a complete list of software (titles/versions/etc) from an instance of RHEL5.

Example:

Instead of knowing that "pango-devel-1.14.9-6.el5" exists on the system I need to know that "Pango v3.0.x" is installed on the system. Many packages do not relate on a one to one basis with a specific piece of software via inter-dependencies etc. (not to mention the version of the software, not the version of the package/library). The Pango example is not the best example as you can see what software is likely the source of this package; however just because this package is installed, I cannot grantee 100% that the Pango software suite is installed, just that this package was installed...

Please help if any knows a way to extract a complete software list (not a package listing) from a RHEL5 box, or a way to convert a complete RPM Dump to a complete software list (however I do not think that is a feasible or accurate option)

Thanks!

-Ben

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Good luck...

This is going to be VERY onerous on your part. You need to "walk" thru the system to find all executable non-script files, and then either execute them with the --version, -v, or -V options (depending upon what they take) and capture that output. Personaly, I think you are in for some major headaches... My sympathies, for sure!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!