Find the answer to your Linux question:
I intend buying a Lexmark printer to use with my Fedora 12 OS, and will have to download a Driver. I have checked the procedure and believe if I type ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    JTH
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] Download installations

I intend buying a Lexmark printer to use with my Fedora 12 OS, and will have to download a Driver. I have checked the procedure and believe if I type the following in the terminal it should install OK:-
    "Installpkg lexmark-inkjet-09-driver-1.5-1.i386_ts.rpm.sh.tar.gz"
    Will someone please confirm whether or not I am correct, as I do not feel too confident about these things.
    Thank you.
    jth

No, that isn't correct. Installpkg is a Slackware tool. It can be confusing because older Slackware packages are gzipped tar files, so you have that same tar.gz extension, but the contents are different.

tar derives from tape archive. It's just a means of collecting multiple files into one file, no compression or anything. Usually, you then compress the tar file and by convention name it according to the compression type, ie, tar.gz = gzipped, tar.bz2 = bzip2, tar.xz = lzma2, etc.

All basically analogous to a zip or rar file in Windows. (Or in linux, we have those too.)

Judging by file name, I would assume this is a shell script. So you'll want to extract the file (right click and choose extract from your file manager), and you may be able to double click on the shell script and choose run, I'm not sure what Fedora's default setting are regarding that. Otherwise, open a terminal to the location of the extracted file and do
    Code:
    sh ./lexmark-inkjet-09-driver-1.5-1.i386_ts.rpm.sh

JTH
    Just Joined!

Reed9

Thank you for help, download was successful and new printer now up and running.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close