Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Should I avoid any of the cards? Any of the cards especially friendly/easy to use? Last, any HDTV cards work with Fedora Core 3?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Core 3 - Friendly Video Cards

Should I avoid any of the cards?

Any of the cards especially friendly/easy to use?

Last, any HDTV cards work with Fedora Core 3?

Linux Engineer
    Not sure specifically about fedora 3, but I know many people have alot of problems with getting ati cards to work...never seen many problems with nvidia though.

Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    Not sure specifically about fedora 3, but I know many people have alot of problems with getting ati cards to work...never seen many problems with nvidia though.
    I second that. I've had nothing but trouble from ATI cards in Linux (MS Windows too actually), but none at all from Nvidia cards, even old ones. On the FC3 topic though, FC3 doesn't like Nvidia's 3D drivers. I think it's a problem with the udev system that they added this release. I'd personally wait for the bugs to get worked out before trying FC3.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

No problems here, but I allways use Asus NVidia based graphics cards.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

I use a Nvidia TNT2 and a Geforce 2 MX200 and havent had any graphical problems yet

Just Joined!
    Well, it looks like NVidia is the way to go..

Thank you all for your willingness to share your experience.

Just Joined!
    getting ready to install FC3 with an nvidia quadro, i'll let you know how it goes

Linux Enthusiast
    Important note on using the nVidia driver (the one from nVidia's site):
    After installing the driver, make sure you copy the nvidia device nodes in /dev to /etc/udev/devices, or X won't start after you reboot. The easiest way is to just enter "cp /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices" in the terminal.

Just Joined!
    thanks for that, just getting ready to drop disc one in. do i need all four for FC3?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    Important note on using the nVidia driver (the one from nVidia's site):
    After installing the driver, make sure you copy the nvidia device nodes in /dev to /etc/udev/devices, or X won't start after you reboot. The easiest way is to just enter "cp /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices" in the terminal.
    this errored out on me. gave me some type of exception error so i left the drive as nv in my xorg.conf file and logged back in, did not reboot. also i only did a telinit 3 to get out of x, hope that was enough. anyway, when back in x i did the cp /dev/nvidia* thing and it crashed the system so hard i could only power it off. after that all h*** broke loose. my /home partition was gone and was getting all kinds of crazy errors on boot up and shutdown so i am reinstalling now.

dont know if copying the nvidia device nodes over caused my problems, but i would like some clarification on this before i do it again. never had to do anything like that on debian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast