Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I thought I got what was a killer deal on a nice Acer Aspire 5742 laptop. However, the wireless doesn't seem to work in Linux. In Windows 7, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acer Aspire 5742

Hi,

I thought I got what was a killer deal on a nice Acer Aspire 5742 laptop. However, the wireless doesn't seem to work in Linux. In Windows 7, I press <fn><f3>, and I get a small control panel that I can use to activate the wireless. Works great....except in Linux.

Pressing the <fn><f3> combo doesn't seem to do anything, although other <fn> key combos like brightness and volume do.

Any idea how to get wireless working? I tried looking on Acer's website, but I can't find anything helpful. I don't want to return it if I don't have to. It's a really nice laptop, and I'd have to eat the restocking fee.

There are no options in the bios for enabling the wireless, and the documentation is pretty slim.

Thanks.

Hello and welcome.
    You can click on the Wireless link in my signature to get started with Wireless setup. Post your info back into this thread using the code tags as explained in the same link. Good Luck.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

Acer Aspire 5742

The issue is almost working.

iwconfig returned

Code:
    lo no wireless extensions
    lspci returned

Code:
    Broadcom BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)
    Another website indicated that the user removed ndiswrapper, and installed Broadcom-wl.

I installed Fedora free and non-free repositories, and installed broadcom-wl. It still didn't show up, so I restarted the laptop. Upon boot, it showed the wireless connection. However, when I do an

Code:
    ifconfig -a
    eth0   (lots of info)
    eth1   (lots of info)
    lo        (lots of info)
    No wireless.

I created a new wireless connection, and temporarily turned off mac filtering on my wireless router. (Don't forget that step, or you'll never connect.) I was able to connect to my router, and I thought just now that everything was hunky-dory. Then, just a few seconds ago, my connection dropped.

So, it appears to be almost resolved, but not completely.

Thank you.

Post the output of
    Code:
    sudo iwlist eth1 scan
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.