I thought I'd fill everyone in on the situation now. I went ahead and backed up EVERYTHING, and did a fresh install with v14. 13 was all screwed up due to lack of disk space. Windows was hogging it all, so I backed that up too so I could reformat the whole 80G internal drive. I had to buy a 500G USB drive to back everything up, but I got that new in the box for $40. Some guy received it as a gift and assumed it wouldn't work with his system and didn't need it anyway.

Before I did the reinstall, there was so much that didn't work right anymore that I was delighted with the new version. Now even yum works! And thanks for all the help!