Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Long time since I've been here, but maybe someone can answer this. I use Fedora and Firefox, and I leave the browser windows open when I shut down so they'll ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

File System in browser

Long time since I've been here, but maybe someone can answer this. I use Fedora and Firefox, and I leave the browser windows open when I shut down so they'll come back the same when I log back in. It works, but one day I somehow used the browser to open up the file system. I closed it, but now every time I log in it's back so I have to close it again. I even tried saving everything except the file tab to bookmarks, then opened back the browser windows and imported them back in. The file system tab STILL came back, and will no matter what I try. Does anyone know how I can stop this from happening? It's mainly just an annoyance, but it's getting old. Maybe there's a config file somewhere that's holding on to it or something, but I haven't been able to find it. If you know what I can do, please tell me!

Thanks.

Take a look in EDIT -> PREFERENCES ->GENERAL tab at
    When Firefox starts:

I am suspecting that you set the file system to start on startup.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!

Already tried that

I've already been through ALL of the settings and preferences. I've looked through file after file. Pretty much is all exactly like it was before this started. I've been working with computers for a long time, and at least ten years on Linux, so I have looked about everywhere I can think of to track this down and fix it back. If it were that easy, I wouldn't have had to post in the first place!

Seeing how I don't know you or your computer skills or what you have or haven't tried in detail it is kind of hard to suggest something. What I suggested is normally the fix to your problem but since you have done all of that I have one more suggestion for you.

Backup your bookmarks and then uninstall FF and delete the .mozilla directory, reinstall FF and import your bookmarks.

If that still doesn't work you are going to have to give details of what you done thus far. As for easy you would be surprised what can be over looked that is easy.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!

Thanks

Sorry if I sounded harsh, it's just that this is SO frustrating. I even looked and searched through the .mozilla directory, hoping to find an instance of the "file:///..." etc., but there's nothing intelligible that I've seen. Normally I'd have this fixed by now, but having tried everything short of the uninstall/reinstall theory I just don't know where to look any more. Maybe I'll try that and see if it works, I don't see why it wouldn't, it's just a big step and more work than I'd wanted to do. And it might be something easy and I just don't see it anywhere!

Thanks again,

G.

Removing the config files should fix without uninstalling, but it amounts to about the same, you're resetting Firefox to the defaults.

I'm not sure if I'm clear on what you're describing. You're saying when you login to your desktop, Firefox pops up showing your file system? (Presumably with something like file:///home/gmorris in the URL bar?)

It sounds like you're saving your sessions, and that instance of Firefox is now saved. Which desktop environment are you using? GNOME, XFCE, and KDE all can save desktop sessions. All of them have a preference somewhere in their respective system settings options for starting with a clean session. I recommend finding that option.

Just Joined!
    I sent a message, but it's not showing up now. I'll wait a while, then if it's still not there I'll repost.

Just Joined!

Ok!

Let me give as much detail as possible. I have a couple of browser windows open. In one tab, I call up Google.com. Once I'm done with it, I close the Google tab and shut down the machine. When I restart, I open FF and the Google tab is STILL GONE. It doesn't come back automatically (what I WANT to happen), but even though I closed the tab with the file listing, it comes back anyway. So I like the fact that my last session is saved, without exception, but the file listing tab comes back as if I never closed it. Hope that makes enough sense for you guys to consider, and I really do appreciate the replies.

I'm registered as Linux User #252560, from 1999, so I know a great deal already. I kind of wish Microsoft had never come along, then I'd have been using Unix back in the early '80's and may be a little smarter. There's SO much to learn. VIM and Emacs for editing, Python, gcc, Perl, bash, Java and Javascript, awk, sed and on and on for programming, plus I've downloaded others like Free Pascal and Chipmunk BASIC.

But for the life of me, I just cannot figure this one out!

Thanks,

G.

Do you have any add-ons that might be causing this?

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Nothing I can find. All the add-ons that I have are standard stuff like codecs for playing music/movies, shockwave, that kind of thing. At least that's all I can see! I haven't forced any downloads for anything like that, they come as automatic updates most of the time.

Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe I should look for one that will help me manage this better. I've been programming for about 25 years, so maybe I can even figure out a way to create one...

G.
    Last edited by GMorris; 01-07-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: New thought:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast