Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'll probably be accused of flamming for this. Is it just me ( and my old hardware) or is anyone else beginning to think that FC3 is the bastard child ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FC3 woes

I'll probably be accused of flamming for this.

Is it just me ( and my old hardware) or is anyone else beginning to think that FC3 is the bastard child of developers on acid?

Boy, I get some weird behaviour out of this release.

Example: whenever I minimize a window it schoops down to the right side of the pannel never to be seen again.

I still get an error message whenever I log in. I thought it might be SELinux so I disabled it but still get the message. If I proceed with the log in, all goes normally.

My font problems in Evolution 2 have mysteriously disappeared, but now I can't get the text to wrap. I set it manually and as soon as I hit the return key...no more text wrap.

Oo Writer. Hoo boy! Initial word in a new document takes a few seconds to show up, then things proceed fine. But as soon as I check the spelling of a word everything grinds to a halt. If/when I am able to quit the program, my desktop doesn't fully refresh and then it locks, forcing a reset.

I'm giving Ubuntu a try this week and if that doesn't do it for me I think I'll go back to FC2. It wasn't perfect but at least it didn't send minimized windows into the Land of the Lost.

im using fc2 and i also get the login error thing, well, if its that thing where gnome doesnt know something and gives this stupid error message telling you you could add something to your host files and it might work, however you just say whatever and everything works fine. and i get the OO.o thing too. spell check takes forever and somethimesfreezes everything like a windows me computer

idont know, mabye it would do better if it was all compiled from source.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

I've upgraded from FC1 last weekd, but this weekend my FC3 started to misbehave and crash on the Portmapper. I use NFS shares and due to some strange reason it locks up and you can only say: bye bye.

But after some playing around I found out that the NFS and portmapper on both FC2 and FC3 are not as they should be and a reboot of both machines fixed the problem... duhhhh.

(It also started whining about it was unable to find localhost and connect to it.(
    Found it very strange because it just set its name and ip address and the hostfile has all information...

But I luckaly don't have any further freeze ups.
    And when using the SMP kernel, everything runs fast.
    But why the need of a default active pcmcia daemon on a regular pc is still a mystery.

That adding to the hostfile:
    type , as root :
    Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    if it contains the following it oke , alse change it as shown:
    Code:
    [root@illith ~]# cat /etc/hosts
    # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
    # that require network functionality will fail.
    127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!

re: FC2 ditto

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    im using fc2 and i also get the login error thing, well, if its that thing where gnome doesnt know something and gives this stupid error message telling you you could add something to your host files and it might work, however you just say whatever and everything works fine. and i get the OO.o thing too. spell check takes forever and somethimesfreezes everything like a windows me computer

idont know, mabye it would do better if it was all compiled from source.
    Benjamin:

I was susrprised to hear this. I never had these problems with FC2. My problems with Core 2 were limited to the volume control always defaulting to mute with every log-in (apparenatly, a known issue since I later read of it in a tech review), and not being able (or maybe just not knowing how!) to install RPM's from freshrpms.com. Otherwise, I got pretty good performace from FC2.

SN3
    Just Joined!
    Hello,

I just installed Fedora Core 3 on my work desktop, and I had a lot of problems. Let me just say I haven't had any problems with all six of my RedHat 9 servers, and this was quite different.

I partitioned a 190GB drive into 165GB and 25GB. I installed Fedora Core 3 on the 25GB partition (I also had a 500MB sawp partition). I finally got it running, but it couldn't find my wireless card. I messed around with it and found it pretty cool. The theme manager crashed though. So, I restarted to see if it would work. Well, the second time I restarted, there was no GRUB (or whatever it's called) boot chooser, it just booted into Linux. I finally got into Windows by reparing the MBR in DOS, then deleted the partitions, increased space, and then repaired the MBR again. From now on, I'll put Linux on some other computer; I can't take the risk. Although, for the hour or so that I did use Linux, it was pretty cool.

When you upgrade from FC1 or FC2 or older RH versions:

download apt from here
    Download Synaptic from here.

Fire up Synaptic, can be found under System settings
    It will start to whine about multiple installed applications and broken installs.

Add an extra repository:
    URL: http://ayo.freshrpms.net/
    Distribution: fedora/linux/2/i386
    Sections: core updates freshrpms

Update the package list by pressing: Reload

Reinstall the broken packages or delete some of them.
    Upgrade all that's available.
    It will whine about: the /dev upgrade and another one, but just ignore.

You're system should be up te date and running.
    Use Synaptic to install apps and de-install aps.

This worked for me, i'm sure it will work for others too.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.