Find the answer to your Linux question:
root login is fine but not non-root user. The error message is "server unexpectedly closed network connection". I verified the password to be OK....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ssh login failure with putty

root login is fine but not non-root user. The error message is "server unexpectedly closed network connection". I verified the password to be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by johnifanx View Post
    root login is fine but not non-root user. The error message is "server unexpectedly closed network connection". I verified the password to be OK.

check your /var/log/messages and /var/log/secure files. they may provide more hints.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    I by mistake enabled several unnecessary security options including wins,...

The issue is resolved after I removed them. However, I did not even see logs indicating such failure login attempts in the file of secure or messages. Is this expected?

Quote Originally Posted by meton_magis View Post
    check your /var/log/messages and /var/log/secure files. they may provide more hints.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close