Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: What versions of Fedora do you have installed?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

1 25.00%
  • Fedora 1

0 0%
  • Fedora 2

2 50.00%
  • Fedora 3

1 25.00%
  • I hate Fedora I use Red Hat Linux

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've tried following the steps outlined in one of the textbooks I got and something just isn't working. It says that all you should have to do is insert CD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem over-installing on Red Hat Linux 7.2

I've tried following the steps outlined in one of the textbooks I got and something just isn't working. It says that all you should have to do is insert CD 1 and re-boot. Once the system has started re-booting you should be put to the boot: prompt or at least the CD installation should kick in. Neither one happens. Can anyone please suggest a way of installing? I'm trying to install Fedora 2 (later 3). Thanks for any help in advance.

Robert

Your poll asks what *versions* of FC you've installed, but only allows you to pick one.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Merely a typo. I was actually experimenting with posting a poll and, if I knew you couldn't edit it later, I would have typed "select the latest version".

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    You're listed as a linux guru. Do you have an answer to the question I had?

Is your computer's BIOS set to boot from the CDROM drive before the harddrive? That would be the first thing I'd check if the CD won't boot.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Good. I'm glad that was your answer. I had posted on another site and got way to much crap to pick through. I'm new to Linux. Could you tell me how to set it up to boot from the CD? Thanks again.

Rob

Usually it's as simple as hitting DEL or F8 when you see your POST screen (the screen that shows your CPU speed, your amount of memory, etc), which will bring you to a blue and gray screen with some choices. You'll probably want to look under "BIOS Settings", but it's different from computer to computer. The setting you're looking to change is the boot order. Usually this is in a menu item under "1st Boot Device, 2nd Boot Device" etc...

To change the options you'll normally have to press the + key. You'll want to change the "1st Boot Device" to "CDROM" or something similar. Make your "2nd Boot Device" your harddrive. It will probably be named strangely, like "WDC80102829". Give that a shot and post here if you get stuck.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Didn't seem to work. Currently I'm on the screen whereby everything is getting mounted. On that screen it gives you the choice to enter Interactive mode. One of the screens shows the OSs installed (you can only chose Red Hat Linux 7.2 there). You can go to command-line here (this gets you to the grub: prompt) or go to another screen whereby the 3 things listed is something root, something regarding kernel, and 1 other thing I can't recall what it says. Is there anything you can add or are there any other questions you may have that will help? Thanks.

Ok. You've gone too far. Sometimes you have to be really quick to catch the BIOS screen on some computers, since it flips by really fast. Does your computer beep when you turn it on? If so, as soon as you hear the beep, start hitting F8 or DELETE like mad until you see something. If your GRUB menu comes up, you missed it, so try again.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Well I tried what you said. I just kept F8 down while re-booting. I received a Keyboard Error 301 error in the top left of the screen and the IBM splash screen came up as before. It gives the user the option of entering the Configuration / Setup Utility and I've done that already but I haven't seen anything there to allow booting from the CDROM. Anything else to try? I should also point out that this isn't a new machine. It's a Pentium II, if that matters. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast