Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having a strange problem with Fedora Core 3. I just installed FC3 on a Thinkpad T41 recently and I am having problems when the external monitor is plugged in. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

System freezes at startup with dual head/monitor enabled

I'm having a strange problem with Fedora Core 3. I just installed FC3 on a Thinkpad T41 recently and I am having problems when the external monitor is plugged in. Booting up looks fine until it finishes starting up all the services and then just hangs. I'm thinking it has something to do with attempting to start X windows. I have tried all kinds of escape keys:
    CTRL+ESC, CTRL+C, CTRL+ALT+F1/2/3/4/5/6 and none of them do anything. However, hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL will reboot the box.

If I unplug my external monitor the system boots up fine. Also, after booting without the external monitor I can plug it in, run system-config-display, just uncheck dual head and recheck it, save, logout and log back in again and everything is fine. Resolution is great and I have my shared desktop across both monitors. Now after that here is the kicker... if I press CTRL+ALT+F1 the machine locks up and the only recovery is CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot.

I have looked in the /var/log dir and nothing jumps out at me as being an ERROR for this problem.

I was running this setup with no problems on FC2. (FYI: I did a new install of FC3, not an upgrade)

Anyone have some ideas on where I could look for error messages or places to help troubleshoot this further? I have searched and searched on Google and haven't found anything.

Thanks in advance,
    bittwidler

Linux Engineer
    Do you know what "environment" your using?
    KDE, gnome...
    can you also give the brand of your Video Card

Thanks
    Ugo
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Oh yeah, that might help. Sorry...

I'm using KDE, video driver being used is ATI Radeon Mobility 7500.

Here is a snippit of my xorg.conf just in case:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Multihead layout"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" LeftOf "Screen1"
    Screen 1 "Screen1" 0 0
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "Xinerama" "on"
    Option "Clone" "off"
    EndSection

... (Removed mouse & keyboard info) ...

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "LCD Panel 1024x768"
    HorizSync 31.5 - 48.5
    VertRefresh 40.0 - 70.0
    Option "dpms"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor1"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "Dell P1110"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 121.0
    VertRefresh 48.0 - 160.0
    Option "dpms"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "radeon"
    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName "ATI Radeon Mobility 7500"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard1"
    Driver "radeon"
    VendorName "Videocard Vendor"
    BoardName "ATI Radeon Mobility 7500"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen 1
    EndSection
    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 16
    Modes "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen1"
    Device "Videocard1"
    Monitor "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Group 0
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

Linux Engineer
    I must admit I'm starting to get mad at all those "display" problem being related to ATI drivers uke:

anyway (sorry had to let this one out)

Code:
    now [b]bittwidler[/b]
    the xinerama is for having like 1 big desktop... this has been a struggling Option for me (and it still doesnt work) to remove that option (for testing) put # in front of the line. that will remove that Option which isnt very stable with the ATI driver.

also your BusID "PCI:1:0:0" both monitor points to the same address which also makes me suspitions... comment the DEVICE VIDEOCARD1 with # this way it will be detected automaticly and might fix your problem...
    Since i'm currently running about the same issue, (and im at work so I can't test at the same time), These are the step I was going to take tonight (1:28pm for me) I pretty much ran into lost of problem myself and if you dont feel like testing, you can wait that I come up with the solution...

I will be keping a link to your post, and will notify you upon completion of this task...
    till then if ever you test different configurations, let me know the test you run so I dont have to deal with them myself

Hope this helps!
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Well, I've been playing with the settings in xorg.conf a bit. I'm not quite sure what you mean by comment out DEVICE VIDEOCARD1. I've tried commenting it out from the "Screen" section and then X won't even start & I get the error:
    Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/org.conf
    Undefined Device "(null)" referenced by Screen "Screen1".
    (EE) Problem parsing the config file
    (EE) Error parsing the config file

Fatal server error:
    no screens found

None of the changes I tried made much of a difference. At one point, however, instead of the screen locking up on the Show Detaills bootup screen the screen went completly black and then locked up.

I have however noticed that when the interactive boot up screen (the screen that shows all the [OK] messages, is displayed I have the correct resoultions on both screens. Plus, I can SSH into the machine.

So far the nothing I've played with prevents the launching of the login to hang. In some cases I've made things worse.

I appreciate your help!

bittwidler