Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've installed 389 DS on fedora 14.Everything works fine except when Im trying to define host based access to 389 DS users.When I tried to search for a soln, everywhere ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Defining IP based access for 389 DS users

I've installed 389 DS on fedora 14.Everything works fine except when Im trying to define host based access to 389 DS users.When I tried to search for a soln, everywhere I could see that this is possible by this way:- Right click the user --> Acess control Permissions -->Target-->Rights--> Hosts --> and selected "ip address host filter" -->and gave the ip address of the machine from which the user is allowed to login. But in vain the user when tries to login from other IP's , he's allowed as well.So I was confused.Later I did some workarounds and came to the conclusion that by default all users are given full rights for everything- so there is no point in mentioning the Hosts from which the user is allowed to login.So I manually edited the ACI to deny all rights to the user if he is trying to login from a differnt IP than he's allowed to.Please find below the one I made for one user:

(targetattr = "*")
    (target = "ldap:///uid=jmathew,ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=edu")
    (version 3.0;
    acl "deny-ip";
    deny (all)
    (userdn != "ldap:///uid=jmathew,ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=edu") and
    (ip!="192.168.1.200")

This worked perfectly for Linux clients.The user was not able to login if he's not from the alloted IP Address.

But when I tried to Login via PGina Windows client in Windows XP Pro,these restrictions did not apply.All the users were able to login from any IP bypassing the deny ACI which I have made in the LDAP server.Tried out many workarounds and fed up now.

So , basically what I'm looking for is a solution to define IP based restrictions to LDAP(389 DS) users who are using PGina client on Windows XP Pro.

Your help in this regard would be appreciated.

Jomy Mathew

Just Joined!
    Waiting for your valuable replies on this issue