Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Red Hat 5.5. Yesterday, a simulation software program I was running froze. I attempted to abort the program but the computer was unresponsive. When I attempted to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Crash and revert to previous data

I am running Red Hat 5.5. Yesterday, a simulation software program I was running froze. I attempted to abort the program but the computer was unresponsive. When I attempted to copy my data to an external drive, the computer completely froze. After 30 minutes of not responding, I did a hard shutdown.

When the computer rebooted, it appears that it has reverted to a state from 4 days ago. All of the data files that my simulation has created in the last 4 days are gone completely. However, some data that I removed 3 days ago seems to be back on the computer. I opened some of the "removed" files and they are not corrupt, the data appears as it should.

Does anyone know why this happened so I can avoid it in the future? I contacted Red Hat support but all they could tell me is that there is no record of anyone logging into the computer between 4 days ago and when I rebooted yesterday. They claim to have never heard of this problem before.

I have had this problem once before on a different computer but the simulation program completely filled the hard drive, which is when it crashed and "reverted" to a previous time. But it looked like I still had 11GB free yesterday when it crashed.

I would look into the simulation program.

It sounds to me (but only you can confirm) as if that program (or the database behind it?) works with transactions.
    So, if the current task crashes, it would roll back to the last known good state.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the suggestion. It is an interesting one. I'm not very computer savy, do you know how I check if the program uses transactions?

Also, the little I know of transactions is that it is like a "software uninstall to previous version". While the simulation program is running, data files are being written to the hard drive. Is it possible for a transaction to delete files and recreate files? The simulation program wouldn't know which files I had removed from the computer would it? They were older files that have been on the computer for about 2 months.

I contacted the simulation provider and they have not seen this issue before. The biggest problem they have is utilizing all the memory which makes the computer unresponsive but doesn't affect the hard drive. I will have to check if they use transactions.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, transactions usually refers to databases.
    Database transaction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you are talking about files, I may as well be on the wrong track.

Maybe there is someone, who knows
    - how this simualtion program works in detail?
    - and also your server setup?
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.