Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying now to compile a Linux Fedora Core 2 kernel, and the boot fails with the following: ds:no socket drivers loaded! kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot create a bootable Fedora Core 2 kernel

Hi,

I'm trying now to compile a Linux Fedora Core 2 kernel, and the boot fails with the following:

ds:no socket drivers loaded!
    kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno = 2
    VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or 08:02
    Pleas append a correct "root=" boot option
    Kernal panic: VFS :Unable to mount root fs on 08:02

1. I searched extensively on the internet, but could not find which item in 'make xconfig' enables the "ds/socket drivers"
    2. My root filesystem is on /dev/sda2 (/boot is on /dev/sda1): I tried both these entries on the kernel line of grub.conf, but both give similar errors.

Since I suspected the problem is connected to the SCSI drivers, I chose in 'make xconfig' everything in the SCSI section, but the kernel still fails the boot with the same errors as above.

Have you any ideas how can I make this kernel a bootable kernel ?

Thanks,
    Ron.

P.S.:
    I built the above mentioned kernel doing the following:

make mrproper

I then copied the config file from "/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-20.EL/configs/kernel-2.4.21-i686.config" to ".config" and then

make xconfig
    make dep
    make clean
    make bzImage
    make modules
    make modules_install
    make install

And the last line, in addition to installing the kernel files in the /boot directory, also executes the /sbin/new-kernel-pkg script that builds a new initrd image and adds new entries to the boot loader configuration file.

Indeed, a .img was created and was put in the correct initrd line of grub.conf (the current kernel .img size is ~300K, while the .img of the kernel I built is ~170K).

My original kernel work Okay.

I tried compiling the kernel using "make oldconfig", and got the exact same problems.

Linux Newbie
    Did you build filesystem support into the kernel, instead of loading it as a module?

Robert Peaslee
    Taking a walk on the wonderful path computers have lain before me

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeasleeR
    Did you build filesystem support into the kernel, instead of loading it as a module?

Robert Peaslee
    Hi Robert,
    Yes, all ext3 items in "make xconfig" are included into the kernel, not as modules.
    Bye,
    Ron.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close