Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Authentec AES 2501 fingerprint reader not working.

I am working on a project that requires fingerprint reader support. So, I installed the libfprint and libfprint-devel packages on my Fedora 14 system, to support my Authentec AES 2501 fingerprint reader.
    I know that my device is alright because it is working fine on the Windows 7 installed on the same system.
    In fedora, the fingerprint reader is recognized, when I run the fprintd-enroll command. The prompt to enroll the fingerprint is displayed on terminal. But, it just stands when I swipe my finger. I have tried everything but cannot resolve the issue.

The output of usb-devices command shows "Driver=none" under fingerprint sensor usb device. But, I have the libfprint installed. Please help.

Post the output of lsusb and search for that device on the internet.

You might also like to try 'fingerprint-gui'.

Last but not least, scold the manufacture for being a Bill Gates fanboy.

Fingerprint

provide some information about fingerprint manufacturer

chk following link this might help :

www thinkwiki.org / wiki /How_to_enable_the_fingerprint_reader#Fedora_Core

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sorry for getting back late.

AbhijeetKasurde:

Post the output of lsusb and search for that device on the internet.
    You might also like to try 'fingerprint-gui'.
    I have tried using fingerprint-gui. But, it also stuck. The window opens, it says that it has found the device and successfully opened it. But, when I scan my finger, nothing happens.
    The output of lsusb is:

Bus 007 Device 002: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard Wireless (Bluetooth + WLAN) Interface [Integrated Module]
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 002: ID 1267:0210 Logic3 / SpectraVideo plc
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 08ff:2580 AuthenTec, Inc. AES2501 Fingerprint Sensor
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f2:b016 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd VGA 30fps UVC Webcam
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

dE_logics:

provide some information about fingerprint manufacturer
    chk following link this might help :
    www thinkwiki.org / wiki /How_to_enable_the_fingerprint_reader#Fedora_Core
    The fingerprint reader comes from Authentec. They manufacture many types of security hardware, one of which is my AES 2501 fingerprint reader. It is a swipe based optical reader. They provide a software named TrueSuite for supporting fingerprint readers, that works fine on Windows 7.
    Also, I have already tried this solution on thinkwiki. But, it does not work.

Let me tell you one more thing that might help. My fingerprint reader worked fine on fedora (Fedora 12) with Libfprint that comes installed with Fedora by default. But, it stopped working mysteriously. After that, it does not work on any Fedora distro (12, 13, 14). But, it still works on Windows. I am just confused.

Try running the application as root.

dE_logics:
    Try running the application as root.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I did, but no luck. There is no permission problem, it simply gets stuck.

Wait... did you say it worked before?

I would suggest you upgrade then, also search the Fedora repos for 'aes'... reinstall that package, and also libfprint.

Quote Originally Posted by dE_logics View Post
    Wait... did you say it worked before?

I would suggest you upgrade then, also search the Fedora repos for 'aes'... reinstall that package, and also libfprint.
    Yes, it did. But, I am already using its latest version and the latest version of Fedora too.
    I searched for 'aes' in repository but found nothing. As for libfprint, I installed the latest version from the repository itself.

Check dmesg output after running the fingerprint scanner... see anything suspicious?

If yes, report a bug to the Fedora team with that attached. Also place the log here.