Find the answer to your Linux question:
I noticed after I installed CentOS latest updates it crashes every single time I run memory and processor intensive programs like BOINC. Has anyone same problem ? Any help ? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question CentOS 5.5 - after latest updates crashes always

I noticed after I installed CentOS latest updates it crashes every single time I run memory and processor intensive programs like BOINC.
    Has anyone same problem ?
    Any help ?
    If I don't run BOINC than OS runs OK as usual.
    Thanks in advance for any reply !

P.S.
    It seems problem is with icinga.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Haven't seen this problem, but I don't run BOINC. Also, I upgraded to Scientific Linux 6. What kernel are you running?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

CentOS: Linux 2.6.18-194.32.1el5.centos.plus
    This is latest update to CentOS 5.5 - just got and installed update about 2 days ago
    CentOS 6.0 has not been released yet even not at release candidate.
    I saw Scientific Linux is already in release candidate status - it is on distrowatch.com.
    Prefer yum in CentOS - by the way what is difference - I know both are just copy of Red Hat Enterprise ?
    Like them both are stable like rock - disadvantage is both are based on Fedora 5 so lot of newer programs just won't run. I read somewhere 6.0 versions will be based on Fedora 14 so we'll be able to run hopefully Goggle Earth and other programs which are unavailable now. Media just sucks on both for now otherwise like it because of stability.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    RHEL/SL6 are much more up-to-date with regard to kernel and optional packages. They are running the 2.6.32 kernel. Not latest, but current enough to support most wireless and other hardware. As for differences between CentOS, RHEL, and SL at the same release level, they are mostly in the logos you see on bootup, and where you get the package repositories from. Since SL is fully supported by major research labs (Fermi Lab, Argonne National Lab, CERN, et al), and used by major scientific research facilities world-wide, I think it is likely to be better supported than CentOS. FWIW, I have been using CentOS 5 for the past 3 years, but 2 months ago migrated to SL6. Fortunately, my wife is a staff physicist at Fermi Lab so I have direct personal contact with the SL development group.

At this point I have a few remaining minor issues, but I haven't needed to revert to CentOS for well over a month. All my stuff runs just fine, including VirtualBox 3.2, ffmpeg, VLC, et al. It also has a lot of nice system management tools that weren't available on CentOS 5, such as better support for lm_sensor probes and such, so I can better monitor my system health.

Just Joined!

Does 6 run VLC and Google Earth do you know ?
    VLC is disabled by default on CentOS 5 - it is enterprise type product - corporations do not want employees to watch movies during work hours. No way to make it work.
    There is just no way to make Google Earth to work - tried hacks on the Internet but won't do it - managed to install Seti@home thouigh - runs good but lacks way behind mac and windows on performance.
    Graphical installer in Scientific Linux 5 looks so freaking arhaic - looks like from 80's - prefer look of classic installer that most other distros use. Advantage is Scientific Linux 5 has flash pre-installed - it took me a while to get it working in CentOS 5.5

Well, primarily I use VLC as an audio streamer for NPR news and music, but it works well for video as well... In fact, I am using it right now to listen to news. Go figure. There are pinheads in every enterprise. Fortunately, I am master of my own...

In any case, with SL6, VLC is in the atrpms repository. So, it isn't available by default, but the SL web site gives you easy access to these alternative repositories, such as rpmforge, atrpms, epel, et al.