Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am getting the follwong error when I run this shelll script bash: [grep "$PATTERN" /mnt/etr/wt01/Logs/wt01-20041125.log | wc -l: No such file or directory It is not true what they ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

shell scripts error

I am getting the follwong error when I run this shelll script
    bash: [grep "$PATTERN" /mnt/etr/wt01/Logs/wt01-20041125.log | wc -l: No such file or directory

It is not true what they say 'No such file or directory " I know that whole directory exists. So please I need help on this

#!/bin/bash
    $PATTERN="2014280766"
    while true; do
    if ['grep "$PATTERN" /mnt/etr/wt01/Logs/wt01-20041125.log | wc -l' -eq 5]; then
    printf 'To:kumar@localhost\nThings went bad' | /usr/sbin/sendmail -t
    fi
    done
    This what I want to do though??

If you want to monitor /mnt/etr/wt01/Logs/wt01-20041125.log
    and you want to have the computer email you a sorted copy of it when there are hvve lines that match a specipc pattern, you

Linux Enthusiast
    Ah, the old-school bashisms come back quickly. Spacing matters!

Code:
    is wrong. It should read:

Code:
    if [ `grep "$PATTERN" /mnt/etr/wt01/Logs/wt01-20041125.log | wc -l` -eq 5 ]; then
    Note that I changed the single-quotes to backticks, and added a space between each square bracket. That should work nicely.

Best,

Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by wassy121
    Ah, the old-school bashisms come back quickly. Spacing matters!

Code:
    is wrong. It should read:

Code:
    if [ `grep "$PATTERN" /mnt/etr/wt01/Logs/wt01-20041125.log | wc -l` -eq 5 ]; then
    Note that I changed the single-quotes to backticks, and added a space between each square bracket. That should work nicely.

Best,

Samuel
    Hey When I run this I get nothing out it, it is just staying there plus i get this

-bash: !/bin/bash: event not found, Could you please tell me how excute the shell scripting on the Terminal please

if run without this #!/bin/bash, it doesnt gives me anything it just statying there.

Thanks

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    PATTERN="1100601032"
    while true; do
    if [`grep "$PATTERN" /usr/local/nagios/var/downtime.log | wc -l` -eq 5]; then
    printf 'To:root@localhost\nThings went bad' | /usr/sbin/sendmail -t
    fi

Just Joined!
    The script should be saved as something.sh and made executable. Then from a shell you can do ./something.sh

You need the line #!/bin/bash at the top of the script for it to be a shell script, so don't take it out.

Linux Newbie
    Hi,

You also need to put your $PATTERN as PATTERN= and not as $PATTERN=...

Cheers

Jonas
    --
    in Linux Computing we Trust

Linux Enthusiast
    Also, the logic is all wrong. The email will only get sent if there are exactly five entries of $PATTERN in the file. But, it will continue to run the grep command over and over and over again (due to the while true).

Best,

Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.