Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed FC3 and it was working with a screen resolution of 800x600. I tried to change this setting to a larger amount and now the screen is all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I fix a messed up display in Fedora Core 3 (FC3)

I recently installed FC3 and it was working with a screen resolution of 800x600. I tried to change this setting to a larger amount and now the screen is all messed up and I don't know how to fix it. I tried to reboot with the rescue disk but don't know how to modify the system config files back to 800x600. The prompt doesn't provide much help. I don't know where to look for help on this seemingly simple problem.

Just Joined!
    You have edit this in user Mode. by logiging in as root

go to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    Modes "800x600"
    EndSubSection

Change the screen mode to 800x600 delete the reset of the resoultion and reboot your system by savinng the file.

Just Joined!

respnse

I have logged in as root, but can't find the file:
    I looked in the following areas:
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 and subdirectories

Just Joined!

found it

ok after using the find command I found another X11 that had the xorg.conf file. I made the mod and this fixed it. There appears to be more than one of these etc paths....

Just Joined!

Re: How do I fix a messed up display in Fedora Core 3 (FC3)

Quote Originally Posted by erickschultz
    I recently installed FC3 and it was working with a screen resolution of 800x600. I tried to change this setting to a larger amount and now the screen is all messed up and I don't know how to fix it. I tried to reboot with the rescue disk but don't know how to modify the system config files back to 800x600. The prompt doesn't provide much help. I don't know where to look for help on this seemingly simple problem.
    Erick:

Not to disparage any hi-tech solutions to your problem, but could the fix possibly be a matter of just adjusting the monitor's screen geometry?

I don't know if you've ever explored this and I don't know what kind of monitor you have, but most of them have a row of buttons beneath the screen. One of them will bring up a main menu and from there you can navigate (with + and - buttons, usually) through the menu. The geometry settings can look a little confusing, but just play with them and you'll get what they're about. Also there will be simple menu options to adjust the width and height of your display.

If you've already thought of this, I apologize for insulting your intelligence. I'm a very basic user and would generally rather pull out a tooth than attempt file editing.