Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a problem with my GRUB loading system. I had installed SuSE Linux 9.0 before installing RedHat Linux today. Well, I installed RedHat by inderting the cd1 and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB bootsystem

Hi,
    I have a problem with my GRUB loading system.
    I had installed SuSE Linux 9.0 before installing RedHat Linux today.
    Well, I installed RedHat by inderting the cd1 and i let the setup formating and deleting my old SuSE Linux. I have chosen to install the Grub on my Linux Drive (I have another drive with WinXP). But if I start my PC now, it displays GRUB... on a black screen and stops working...
    I think SuSE had installed the Grub-System, too. Is it possible to disable the Grub System or reinstall it in RedHat and how to do this?
    Thx Sorcim

P.S.: sorry for my bad Englisch

Linux Guru
    Take a look at this tutorial by nerderello. Also, look at my notes in the following threads:

http://linuxforums.org/forum/topic-2...tml&highlight=

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...tml&highlight=
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Newbie
    I'm pretty sure that you have to install GRUB to the MBR, or else it will not work.

Linux Guru

Re: GRUB bootsystem

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcim
    I had installed SuSE Linux 9.0 before installing RedHat Linux today.... But if I start my PC now, it displays GRUB... on a black screen and stops working.... I think SuSE had installed the Grub-System, too.
    mjmam, you are right that GRUB must be installed to the MBR to boot. From Sorcim's message, I believe that this was done by SuSE, but now it just needs to be redirected to the right kernel and init. One of the threads I mentioned before attempts to explain this. It's the difference between getting grub> and GRUB_ as the prompt. The details of loading the bootloader is pretty interesting, being that it is done in 3 distinct stages even before the operating system is selected. Understanding the loading sequence is key to efficiently correcting boot problems.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better