Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need some advice. I would love a few expert opinions on the best practice procedures for using packages on Fedora Core 3 that are different versions than those that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Practice - using different versions of packages

I need some advice. I would love a few expert opinions on the best practice procedures for using packages on Fedora Core 3 that are different versions than those that come from the default repositories.

The example at hand is this: The version of MySQL that comes with FC3 is 3.23, however, in order to use the fantastic MySql Administrator, you are required to use a 4.x branch package. What is the best way to install this package? I love being able to [yum update], but if I install this 4.x package from Mysql.com, it messes up my ability to do this. Also, the support packages won't install properly (like php-mysql), because it thinks that I don't actually have MySql installed.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Linux Enthusiast
    Ah. I run into this all the time. If you go to mysql.com, you can download the binary RPMs which provide all you need to have in order for php-mysql to be happy. You just need to ensure you grab MySQL-shared-compat as well as all the other (-server, -client, -devel) packages.

As for the automatic updating, I don't know of a YUM/APT/etc server that does _just_ MySQL 4.0.x releases. I may set one up here later, but am not positive on that one

Best,

Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Banned
    I had the same problem.
    Thing is, if you update SQL to 4.x, you'll get many dependency problems(unless you're only using this as a server)...
    I now use both till I can make everything work with 4.x

Linux Enthusiast
    You should get 0 dependency problems. I have never, ever, seen a dependency problem on a RedHat machine. That is because all the client applications link against libmysqlclient.so.10. This library is provided by the backwards-compatible library called 'MySQL-shared-compat-4.0.22.i386.rpm'. I am telling you, if you download all the i386 RPMs for -server, -devel, -client, -shared, and -shared-compat, then run 'rpm -Uvh MySQL-*4.0.22*rpm', it will run through like a hot knife through butter in the sahara.

Once that is done, just run 'killall safe_mysqld && killall mysqld && /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start'.

Best,

Samuel

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the advice. I guess the compat RPM should get me where I need.. I'll try that and report back. Thanks again,

Kevin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wassy121
    You should get 0 dependency problems. I have never, ever, seen a dependency problem on a RedHat machine. That is because all the client applications link against libmysqlclient.so.10. This library is provided by the backwards-compatible library called 'MySQL-shared-compat-4.0.22.i386.rpm'. I am telling you, if you download all the i386 RPMs for -server, -devel, -client, -shared, and -shared-compat, then run 'rpm -Uvh MySQL-*4.0.22*rpm', it will run through like a hot knife through butter in the sahara.

Once that is done, just run 'killall safe_mysqld && killall mysqld && /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start'.

Best,

Samuel
    Indeed,
    it shoudn't.
    But not if you use Apt(or Yum).
    Most(if not all) Fedora repositories don't seem to accept 4.x.
    It gave me about 30 dubble RPMs(some support 4.x, others don't) and many broken dependencies.
    You'll better do this manually.

Linux Enthusiast
    These are broken apt/yum repository problems. They will hardcode the:
    Requires: mysql = 3.23.58

Instead of:
    Requires: libmysqlclient.so.10

Stupid repositories. I have had nothing but problems, just like these, if you use dag's apt repository.

I digress, and confess. Yes, if you use packages that are built to specifically require mysql-3.23.58, then yes, this will cause a problem.

Best,

Samuel