Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I am kinda new to the forum posting & relatively new to the Linux System (8 months). I am having issues after upgrading the Scientific Linux 6 kernel from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

RPM Kernel Upgrade

Hey,
    I am kinda new to the forum posting & relatively new to the Linux System (8 months). I am having issues after upgrading the Scientific Linux 6 kernel from its current 2.6.x version to the latest version that SL6 has available.

The issue is that once I install the upgrade and reboot, the internet becomes extremely laggy when scrolling on web pages, so much so that you get a ripple like effect as your scrolling. Which doesn't occur in the current kernel i am using.

Current Kernel is: 2.6.32-71.18.2.el6
    New Kernel RPM update is: 2.6.32-71.29.1.el6

I wish I could figure out the problem but I am having trouble identifying what exactly the current kernel has that the new one doesn't that would cause the internet lag.

I have read other topics with similar kernel update problems, but none have expressed an internet problem & only an internet problem from a kernel update.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I just updated to the 71.29.1 kernel myself (x86_64) and am not seeing this problem. What is your video hardware and driver?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

My graphics card is an XFX ATI Radeon HD 6850. The Driver is the "ati-driver-installer-11-4-x86.x86_64" from AMD's website.

I would be surprised if it was the graphics card. I will try installing the kernel and see what happens, worst is it doesn't work. I can always revert back using Grub.

It happened before when i was going to update to the previous kernel (second latest), I think it was Kernel: 2.6.32-71.24.1.el6, which also experienced the same problem. In which case I just got rid of kernel but kept the development files, kernel header, firmware & debug files.

Yeah, that's weird... same system architecture (x84_64), I gather your using Fedora??

I fixed the problem. When you mentioned the graphics card, I started messing around with the Ati Drivers, i have a couple of the older ones, mainly 11.2, 11.4 & 11.5 .

I was using 11.2 originally, thus updating the driver to 11.4 fixed the problem, on the new kernel.

Which is Interesting, I wouldn't have thought it would be the graphics card. In fact it would have been the last place I would have looked.

SoThanks

Sorry for the double post