Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have synced fedora 15 in mirror. I have downloaded and burned iso image into DVD and installed it successfully in my laptop. But when trying to install through URL ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora installation through URL

I have synced fedora 15 in mirror. I have downloaded and burned iso image into DVD and installed it successfully in my laptop. But when trying to install through URL method , After giving Path of the mirror then it shows "Waiting for Network manager to configure em1" , then after some time , it shows "There was an error configuring your network interface //retry//" then "The URL provided doesn't contain installation media".. I dont knw wt is the error ??? can any1 installed fedora15 through URL method from any mirror.????

Trusted Penguin
    How are you establishing networking? I haven't installed F15 yet, but I assume it will try to get IP info via DHCP, if you don't tell it otherwise. Do you have an available DHCP server (and DNS for that matter) on your network?

also, you can jump to the Virtual Terminals (Ctrl+Alt+F3 - F5) during install and see what is going on behind the scenes.

Just Joined!
    It is wired connection and i am setting IP address statistically by manual method.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    okay, but then are you also supplying your gateway and dns info?

and just to be sure i understand you, you have a copy of the repo on an internal server? how is it serving it? (web, ftp, nfs, etc.)

also, are you using hostname/servername to access it, or just ip address? If using name, stick to ip address, until you figure out the problem.

if you are using ip address to access your repo, then you don't need DNS stuff above, but you may need to use fake value, i.e. dns=0.0.0.0, or else Fedora might default to DHCP, b/c it doesn't think it has everything it needs (at least older versions of the installer did this to me).

Just Joined!
    ya.. i am setting ip address and gateway and dns info to the system.
    i am giving 192.168.41.170/fedora/releases/15/Fedora/i386/os path and before with same path 14 instead of 15, i can install 14 on same system with out fake values and all , but with 15 only getting problem.Actually my mirror is private mirror , which can serve only in my collage campus only.
    I tried to install from my source mirror ftp.heanet.ie and tried from iitk mirror also, but from all mirrors i am getting same error messages.

Is there any possibility of installation fedora15 from any mirror through URL method ??

Trusted Penguin
    I can confirm that this should work on Fedora 15. I got it to work using a PXE server. This is the relevant portion from my pxelinux.cfg file:
    Code:
    label f15-min
      MENU LABEL Fedora 15 - Minimal
      kernel F15-vmlinuz
      append initrd=F15-initrd.img ks=http://<YUM_SERVER_IP>/tftpboot/kickstart/Fedora-minimal.ks vga=normal nomodeset ksdevice=eth0 selinux=0 noselinux AUTOPART=0 repo=http://<YUM_SERVER_IP>/mirrors.fedoraproject.org/releases/15/Fedora/i386/os
    There is nothing of consequence in the kickstart file, and you can ignore the AUTOPART flag. I copied the vmlinuz and initrd.img files from the Fedora images/pxeboot directory.

Have you checked your apache server log for errors?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by malli_nitc View Post
    ya.. i am setting ip address and gateway and dns info to the system.
    i am giving 192.168.41.170/fedora/releases/15/Fedora/i386/os path and before with same path 14 instead of 15, i can install 14 on same system with out fake values and all , but with 15 only getting problem.Actually my mirror is private mirror , which can serve only in my collage campus only.
    I tried to install from my source mirror ftp.heanet.ie and tried from iitk mirror also, but from all mirrors i am getting same error messages.

Is there any possibility of installation fedora15 from any mirror through URL method ??
    Maybe, as reported in your first posting, the mirror site does not yet have fedora15 available.

Just Joined!
    Thq guys for ur kind reply to my thread ..!!!

Problem is solved. Actually till fedora 14, while installation , after typing as "linux askmethod" , it asks for IP address and then URL. But in fedora 15, it asks URL without asking for IP, this is by default.Thats y i was getting network interface error.

If we give as "linux askmethod asknetwork ", then it asks for URL and IP also.