Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is Fedora compatible with big endian processors like IBM p series etc ? If not which linux(freeware) is compatible for these processors?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora in big endian processor

Is Fedora compatible with big endian processors like IBM p series etc ? If not which linux(freeware) is compatible for these processors?

Just Joined!
    Hi v10g, according to:
    Fedora Project - Get Fedora by Desktops, Formats or Spins.
    there are only x86 and x86_64 options. The only big endian architecture I've used is Motorola PPC. You have to keep in mind that the layout of architecture is equally as important as the endian of the CPU. What I'm trying to say is you need to match your distribution to your computer, not just your CPU. Here is a pretty good link for PPC linux distributions ... maybe one will support your IBM architecture also:
    PPC Linux

RE: 'Is Fedora compatible with big endian processors like IBM'

Try with the latest version - Fedora 15. You can download the live CD at: Fedora Project - Download Fedora and try it.

You may also read this: https://linuxlink.timesys.com/docs/gsg/am3517_evm

It is written about another bi-endian processor (3517 of Texas Instruments in this case), but you may get some fresh ideas.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    There are hints that F15 might be useful, but IBM and Novell both support SLES installations. That may mean that you could try running openSuSe. Here is a link.

I have used SLES and openSuSe and liked both of them. Sorry to see you possibly leave Fedora, but you should do fine with SLES/openSuse if that is what is needed.
    Tom

If Fedora manages to run on the Roadrunner, maybe it will succeed to run on this IBM platform.
    BTW which is the fastest computer platform that OpenSUSE runs on?

Just Joined!
    BTW which is the fastest computer platform that OpenSUSE runs on?
    SGI UV's use SLES. Monster machines, monsterously fast. I have used them. Just...wow.

openSuSe / SLES is no slouch under any circumstance. SLES is to openSuSe like Redhat is to Fedora.

Tom

RE: 'Monster machines, monsterously fast.'

This sounds like a General Relativity theory. What is the class of computation: is it teraFLOPS (10^12) or petaFLOPS (10^15). On the net I found a PSC with 512 cores, and how many of these could be placed on the motherboard 1, 2, 4 ... or 12.
    Does the platform support NVIDIA graphic processing, etc.