Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I recently installed Fedora 12 onto a computer at work. My end goal is to install Matlab, but that is not working because I do not have the right files ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question yum not working on newly installed Fedora 12

I recently installed Fedora 12 onto a computer at work. My end goal is to install Matlab, but that is not working because I do not have the right files in my lib64 folder. In order to install the files which matlab requires, I need to use yum to download the right library files.

Any yum command results in the following error:

# yum update yum
    Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
    URL LINK TO FEDORA (wouldn't let me post it)

[Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 5 - ""
    Trying other mirror.

I have seen numerous solutions online for this problem, but none of the suggestions have worked. I have tried modifying the the repos files in /etc/yum.repos.d by switching baseurl and mirror, but no luck there.

I believe one problem is that we have a corporate proxy which I cannot control. I set up the internet on the computer, and added the following lines to /etc/profile:

http_proxy=mycorporateproxy (can't post url)
    export http_proxy
    ftp_proxy=mycorporateproxy (can't post url)
    export ftp_proxy

After all of this, I still get the same error when using yum.

I am relatively new to linux, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Linux Guru

Just Joined!
    yancek: thanks for the quick reply. Does this mean that yum will not work at all for Fedora versions have reached "End of Life"?

I was told we were using Fedora 12 in order to avoid software incompatibility between the software we use and the operating system. Do you think using Fedora 15 would work better for this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by huttenr View Post
    Does this mean that yum will not work at all for Fedora versions have reached "End of Life"?
    You may run into issue with attempt to run any updates. yum pulls from actively maintained repos, and after EOL those repos are not really maintained all that much.

I was told we were using Fedora 12 in order to avoid software incompatibility between the software we use and the operating system. Do you think using Fedora 15 would work better for this issue?
    It might. Installing a newer version would be the safer choice simply for more recent security patches and such. The software compatibility depends entirely on the program that you are trying to use.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

You can alter your repo files to point to archive.fedoraproject.org. Then you may be able to get the packages you need.
    Glenn
    Powered by Fedora

Just Joined!
    glennzo,

I found the repo files and changed the baseurl line in (fedora.repo and fedora-update.repo) to direct to the archived folder which has the correct files inside of it. Still no luck there; I get the same error message. Any other ideas?

Have you spoken with the IT department in your corporation? Are you sure that your company's proxy will allow the Fedora repos? Does this computer have a working internet connection?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I would assume that the firewall does not block the fedora repos because when i navigate directly to the url in my web browser, I am able to reach the correct page. And yes, the internet connection is working just fine.

Actually, I'm wrong. I have Fedora 12 installed under VirtualBox. The repos are working with the default configuration.
    Code:
    [glenn@f12v ~>$ yum repolist
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit
    repo id                                    repo name                                                     status
    fedora                                     Fedora 12 - i386                                              15,263+103
    rpmfusion-free                             RPM Fusion for Fedora 12 - Free                                      383
    rpmfusion-free-updates                     RPM Fusion for Fedora 12 - Free - Updates                            257
    rpmfusion-nonfree                          RPM Fusion for Fedora 12 - Nonfree                                   124
    rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                  RPM Fusion for Fedora 12 - Nonfree - Updates                         211
    updates                                    Fedora 12 - i386 - Updates                                     7,616+100
    Here's the top section of my fedora.repo file.
    Code:
    [fedora]
    name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch
    failovermethod=priority
    #baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/
    mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch
    enabled=1
    metadata_expire=7d
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch
    Glenn