Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody. I am new in this forum I have a serious problem I have a something.gz file. When I type gunzip -c something.gz this commend open the file but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

invalid compressed data--length error

Hi everybody. I am new in this forum
    I have a serious problem

I have a something.gz file. When I type gunzip -c something.gz this commend open the file but at the end of the file I get an error message invalid compressed data--length error. Also if I type more at the and of this commend like gunzip -c something.gz | more, file would not open. It gives some meaningless characters.
    I want to open this file with more.
    what is the reason of this problem.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Probably the gzip file is munged. BTW, the -c option outputs the uncompressed data to stdout, and if you pipe it to more (or less) to view the file, make sure it is a text and not a binary file. If you just want to uncompress the file, drop the -c option and it will uncompress the file "something.gz" file to "something", removing the "something.gz" file if it is successful. Normally the -c option is used when you want to redirect to another file name and keep the original .gz file intact.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!