Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed a RHEL 6 parition on my PC at work and i'm having driver issues with the Braodcom NetLink tg3.ko driver. I tested a new version of a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RHEL 6 & tg3 driver

I have installed a RHEL 6 parition on my PC at work and i'm having driver issues with the Braodcom NetLink tg3.ko driver. I tested a new version of a Fedora Live CD and it seems that the tg3 driver that comes preloaded on that works with my network card but the old tg3 driver that comes with RHEL doesn't.

When I download the the driver off the Broadcom website (updated) I am up to the part where i rebuild the rpm for my system. I am running:

rpmbuild -bb tg3.spec

it fails and displays "No kernel souce directory provided" Error 255.

What does this mean and how can I get throught this step! Thanks for the help =)

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRoot View Post
    I have installed a RHEL 6 parition on my PC at work and i'm having driver issues with the Braodcom NetLink tg3.ko driver. I tested a new version of a Fedora Live CD and it seems that the tg3 driver that comes preloaded on that works with my network card but the old tg3 driver that comes with RHEL doesn't.

When I download the the driver off the Broadcom website (updated) I am up to the part where i rebuild the rpm for my system. I am running:

rpmbuild -bb tg3.spec

it fails and displays "No kernel souce directory provided" Error 255.

What does this mean and how can I get throught this step! Thanks for the help =)
    It sounds like the Makefile for the tg3 is expecting the kernel source in a certain dir and is not find it. Do you have the kernel source installed? Look in /usr/src/kernels/ for any dirs (they would be your kernel name, e.g. `uname -r`).

If you don't, the package you'll need to install, I think, is kernel-devel-`uname -r`.rpm. You should be able to yum install it, or just install it from your original media.

Then just make sure that the tg3 Makefile (or whatever) is looking in the right place for it.