Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have to upgrade a live server from 5.1.6 to 5.2 PHP. I'm also running Zend and Pecl-memcache which will have to be upgraded also. I originally installed PHP via ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ugrading RHEL5 from PHP 5.1.6 to 5.2 - best and simplest solution

I have to upgrade a live server from 5.1.6 to 5.2 PHP. I'm also running Zend and Pecl-memcache which will have to be upgraded also.

I originally installed PHP via rpm and do not want to download source and compile php (if I do not have to).

Can someone offer me ideas of the best way to perform the upgrade without having to pull my hair out and sweat bullets.

I've read about the remi repository and jasonlitka.com

I'm not sure where to turn or which way to go - this sucks!

why can't there be one proven method?

I would suggest to use the momentum and upgrade to rhel6.
    rhel6 features php 5.3, which is the right thing to do, as 5.2 is already no longer supported.
    See : PHP Downloads

Going for the official supported php version of a major distribution like redhat might also be easier supported by Zend.

I realize, that is more work: New OS, and a bigger step of php versions, so probably also more development work.
    But it will also provide a stable platform for the forseeable future.

About running self compiled php:
    Possible, of course. Even desireable in certain conditions.
    But due to the multiple dependencies and features, it takes quite an effort to get it running *and* maintained well, especially for multiple machines.
    If you want to go that route, I would suggest to take an extra step and properly package your php.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    no thanks RH does not upgrade well at all. I trust RH about as far as I can throw a sumo wrestler.

Sorry, what I wrote was misleading.
    By upgrading i actually meant:
    Install from scratch.
    Best to do on another (newer) machine, so you can test extensively before going live.

Not sure what you mean about trust.
    rh and its clones centos/scientific linux are rockstable server distributions, I run my datacenters and a few hundred machines with centos (and consider switching to SL)
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.