Find the answer to your Linux question:
Are there ways to link computers together with a linksys router to get increased performance? Can I create this cooperative supercomputer on the same router that my internet runs through? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Putting computers together on a router

Are there ways to link computers together with a linksys router to get increased performance? Can I create this cooperative supercomputer on the same router that my internet runs through? Can I run Windows on top of this supercomputer to get increased performance in the audio field where I need it most?

Just Joined!
    I get the basic idea behind a beowulf server. I was really hoping just for a simple point and click answer. I know this seems a little selfish, and it probably is: can you help a brother out?

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by DariousBlount View Post
    Are there ways to link computers together with a linksys router to get increased performance? Can I create this cooperative supercomputer on the same router that my internet runs through? Can I run Windows on top of this supercomputer to get increased performance in the audio field where I need it most?
    What kind of performance increase are you looking for, exactly?

What is it your Windows machine is doing in the "audio field"?

Just Joined!
    I want to be able to use more applications from a central location. In terms of the audio field, using an external clock would allow multiple CPUs to be wired tempomentally. What I would rather do is sit behind a single mouse. I want to get ridiculous. Am I correct in assuming a linux server running wine would illicit the performance change I am looking for? Or are samplers only stronger when the hard drives are able to give them more attention?

I understood my CPU usuage to be limited by ram and processing speed. The server model I'm thinking of has a bunch of mobos filled with ram and processors all linked to a fully equipped box. Unless the hard drive is a limiting factor, I don't see how learning to set up this conceptualized server wouldn't be quite marginally better than using a midi time code machine to sync multiple Digital Audio Workstation CPUs.
    Last edited by DariousBlount; 06-29-2011 at 08:48 AM.

Just Joined!
    BUMP

My new box will be in commission pretty soon once I get my hard drive back from new egg. (free slow shipping though)

I was wondering if there was a quick way to get extra performance in fedora by networking to another box running fedora. Could anyone provide me with a quick example. I'm getting adept at using the command line, so I thought maybe it would be easy for you to tell me how to set up a simple performance cluster.

I want to learn about copying partitions later so that I can perform risky installs later, or reattempt installs on the backup os should i feel fit.