Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey, Ok i am having some issues with dual booting my SL6.1 and Windows. The situation is that i recently acquired an old hard drive from a non-working computer of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Dual-Boot Issues

Hey,
    Ok i am having some issues with dual booting my SL6.1 and Windows.
    The situation is that i recently acquired an old hard drive from a non-working computer of mine with Windows already installed (i know the windows is functional, as i tested it on my new PC with SL6.1 currently installed & everything runs fine)

The problem is that after editing the grub.config to include windows, windows will no longer boot after an attempt to install a legit version of McAffee anti-virus software which coincidently was only after the first attempt at running both OS's in a dual-boot fashion. Except past the windows start up screen before the dreaded blue-screen.
    Which is weird because SL6.1 OS will still boot & works perfectly fine like always, so it doesn't really make sense.

My current setup is:
    Disk 1: Solid-State:
    Boot Partition
    SL6 LVM1: Root Partition
    Disk 2: Hard Drive:
    SL6 LVM2: User, Temp & Swap Space Partitions (Different LVM to Root)
    Disk 3: Hard Drive:
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

My guess is its windows MBR. The reason i say this is because the Hard Drive contents of the Windows software still appears intact when accessing the drive from the Linux OS.

I don't won't to go through the rigmarole of re-installing both OS's. So hopefully their is a relatively simple solution.

Thanks for any help given.

If my understanding is correct, you were able to boot into your Windows partition on disk 3 even after creating the Dual boot system.
    Windows stopped booting only when you installed McAffee anti-virus onto the windows partition...

Its looks like the antivirus installation has created some issue with the Windows installation, as you can see the initial screen and then you see the blue screen.

I don't feel that there is any issue with you windows MBR or the hard drive in question.
    You can give the try to using the rescue disk or boot into safe mode on windows and trying to wind back to the point before the installation of the anti-virus.
    Linux Rocks!!!!
    -- Rinjo
    Setup: Oses: Windows 7 HB and Fedora 17 dual boot Hardware: HP Pavilion G6-2005AX laptop, AMD A8 Quad Core, 4 GB RAM, 1.5 GB dual Graphics card, 500GB HDD.

That would probably work, except for a minor issue, stupid windows won't allow me to boot into safe mode. It only has launch start up repair & start windows normally.

Another issue is i don't have a recovery disc, i upgraded the OS from XP Enterprise to Windows 7 Professional, so i only have the upgrade Disc for 7 Pro & the install disc for XP Enterprise.

Yeah your probably right, because if it was the MBR, than you would expect Linux to also be affected, because GRUB is the one loading them both. I wish i could read that damn blue-screen text so i can have some idea of what the issue is.
    Any other ideas? start-up repair does not work i have tried it a bazillion times and it consistantly gives a failed result.

Sometimes i wonder why i even bother with Windows, its such a pain in the arse!

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Any other ideas?
    If you can't boot into any form of repair mode, you may just need to reinstall XP and upgrade again.

You might get more definite troubleshooting advice on a Windows support forum, though.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

What about from the linux os, is it possible to restore the system from their?
    If possible can someone explain what to do.

Is the Windows hard disk installed as a secondary disk?
    Glenn