Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, There were four partitions on my computer, two of them for windows2000 and windows XP, the two others for Linux and swap! And I need a partition for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

An extra Emergency Case!!! My computer doesn't want to boot

Hello all,

There were four partitions on my computer, two of them for windows2000 and windows XP, the two others for Linux and swap!
    And I need a partition for my important data, and since I don't really use Linux and I don't need a lot of extra size on the hard disk for it… from win XP I resized the ext3 partition and I moved it using Partition Magic…

When I restarted my pc to work on Linux… the computer couldn't restart! And instead of showing me the screen from where I have to choose dos or Linux it showed me this:

GRUB version 0.93 (693k Low/ 523190K max memory)

[minimal BASH-like line editing is supported for the first word, tab lists possible commands completions anywhere else Tab lists possible completions of device/filename]

grub>

I don't know what to do… and I don't dare to do anything on my own, I need help, and I need it fast, because I have some work to do… and my mother is working on a project on this computer…
    At least I want to know a reliable way to save the data!!!

Thx for your in advance…

Ps: I'm using Linux Red Hat 9

Have great time with Linux!

A Linux beginner

Jesmine

Just Joined!
    I had a very similar problem last week - only I used system commander instead of partition magic w/ same negative results. 3 possibilities exist.
    1. Boot loader is installed to superblock or MBR and 1 of these is damaged after the resize - reinstalling grub will fix that. OR, as in my case:
    2. The resize corrupted the linux partition. Grub is installed and working find, but cannot find the splashimage, kernel image, and init image because of the corruption. OR
    3. Moving the partition changed the order on your h.d. and grub cannot find the images because they are someplace else - re-configuring grubs grub.conf file and maybe a reinstall of grub should fix that one.

Either case, plz give more info as to the specifics of your hard drive(s) and partitions (e.g. you only have 1 hard drive? - you stated 6 partitions.. whats what - hda1=this, hda2=that, etc.?).

In my case it was a big headache to fix - but not impossible!

Just Joined!
    Hi,

thx systempilot for giving me some hope...

but I don't know how to do any of the things you have told me....
    so, would you please explain how I'll do it!!!

I'm very new to the Linux world!

by the way,
    I have one physical hard disk…
    hda1 for windows 2000, hda2 for windowsXP, hda3 for Linux red hat 9 and some extra space for the linux swap… that was before resizing….

After…
    hda1 for windows 2000, hda2 for windows XP, hda3 an empty space for Data, hda4 for Linux and still there the swap

so people do you think if I reboot my pour computer from partition magic booting disks and put back the hd the way it was I'll fix the problem!!!
    I mean if I remove the new partition on hda3 that suppose to be for data… moved the linux partition back to its place right at the end of hda2 and then resize it back to its old space!!!

Have great time…

Jesmine

Just Joined!
    booting from a dos floppy with fdisk on it and entering fdisk /mbr should make your windows bootable

what you are seeing is an mbr "Master boot record" that points to a non existtent partiition

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    Thx Opnosforatou for the very valuable information in that link…
    But it didn't work for me!!!

First I started by RedHat9 rescue CD I pressed F5 and then at prompt I wrote linux rescue and pressed enter…
    Then I choosed the language, the keyboard type and no for the network interface
    Then I was presented with this screen:

The rescue environment will attempt to find your red hat Linux installation and mount it under this directory /mnt/sysimage …etc…
    With three buttons <continue> <read only> <skip>

Of course I choosed to continue, But I got a message telling me "there is no Linux partition, press return to enter the shell"... and that's indeed what I have done…
    There , in the shell, I wrote "chroot /mnt/sysimage"
    The answer was :"can't change root directory to /mnt/sysimage there is no such file or directory "

So I moved to the other solution

find /boot/grub/stage1

But, and always there is a Great BUT, I get error 15: file not found!!!
    I tried to use the diskette Linux did when I first installed it, then I tried to use the grub boot disk and still getting error 15!!!
    btw, I didn't mistyping anything!

Bloggins
    I tried to reboot from the partition magic diskettes which has fdisk on it but the computer refused to boot... it moved to the grub prompt

I'm desperate for your help and I do appreciate it…

Thx for your time!!!

Enjoy!

Jesmine

Just Joined!
    This is what happened to me...
    your 1st error is redhat stating it cannot find the linux partition - meaning it has been corrupted. The message from grub is pretty much the same thing - it cannot locate the file because it cannot access the partition. If you need to get to windows asap - fix that first. Heres info for both windows 2000 and windows XP http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

For your linux installation, you can try to manually mount the partition at the redhat prompt with
    Code:
    mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/sysimage
    see if that mounts the linux partition under /mnt/sysimage. If id does, unmount it with
    Code:
    umount /dev/hda4
    and run fsck to try to fix it
    Code:
    fsck /dev/hda4
    If you get lots of invalid inode stuff asking you to fix, you may have lost your linux partition completly - I was able to recover the data from my home directory (fsck put it all into the lost+found directory), then I had to copy that data to my windowz partition.. Then I deleted all linux partitions and reinstalled linux from scratch.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesmine
    hda1 for windows 2000, hda2 for windowsXP, hda3 for Linux red hat 9 and some extra space for the linux swap… that was before resizing….
    After…
    hda1 for windows 2000, hda2 for windows XP, hda3 an empty space for Data, hda4 for Linux and still there the swap
    If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't this appear to be the problem? Wouldn't she need to edit grub.conf from the GRUB shell and change root(hdx, 4) to root(hdx, 5) (or whatever the commands are... I haven't messed with GRUB for a little while...)? Maybe I'm wrong, but I had something similar happen to me when I added a partition and that's all it took to get it to work.

Best of luck Jesmine

Just Joined!
    Yes but based on this
    Of course I choosed to continue, But I got a message telling me "there is no Linux partition, press return to enter the shell"... and that's indeed what I have done…
    There , in the shell, I wrote "chroot /mnt/sysimage"
    The answer was :"can't change root directory to /mnt/sysimage there is no such file or directory "
    message during rescue CD operation that still leads me to believe a corruption exists - as far as I'm aware - the rescue CD does not even look at the grub.conf file on the H.D. - just a valid linux partition with system files.