Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Resizing a root partition

I joined the fedora irc channel and asked how to delete a partition. We actually decided that we could not delete the partition I wanted to delete because it was a root partition. After unmounting the partition, and one other patition with a really long directory name, all of my applications dissapeared. I need a safe surefire way to resize a root partition. I don't want to unmount anything because we don't know if we'll be able to mount it again.

The Keystone State
    You cannot, let me say this again, CANNOT resize live partitions. What I suggest you do is burn GPARTED and then boot that to resize.

The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    1. Boot Live/Recovery CD/DVD
    2. Backup root partition data.
    3. Resize root partition.
    4. Restore root partition data.

Anything else will likely result in a fubar'd system.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    Baja Oklahoma
    You can't unmount the root partition, because it contains the operating system. You have to boot from another drive, best a liveCD or liveUSB, then use gparted to resize the partitions you want to deal with, as posted above. I've resized both my / and /home partitions without issues. Be careful, though, it's not without some risk. Backing it up is always a good idea.