Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'M working my way the book 'Linux + Guide 3rd ED' and it's now attempting to educate me on device files and mounting. One of the first examples in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

device files and mounting

I'M working my way the book 'Linux + Guide 3rd ED' and it's now attempting to educate me on device files and mounting. One of the first examples in the book is on mounting a floppy disk, not drive I'M assuming. When I typed in 'mkfs -t ext2 /dev/fd0' into the terminal I got an error: No such file or directory. Now I have several ideas about what might be going wrong but I just want to make sure I understand all this before I move along.
    First of all my computer doesn't even have a floppy drive in it, I don't know why a book written in 2010 would use such an example.
    After creating the fd0 folder in dev, I re-entered the command and got /dev/fd0 is not a block special device, proceed anyway(y,n)

Again, I'M assuming this is because I don't have a floppy drive in my computer but I want to make sure I get what's actually going on here before I move along. Seeing how I can not error check this problem because I don't have a drive. Thanks.

update

Now I've been told to following command to mount my cd rom drive: mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cd

What am I actually doing here? I can already through in a blank cd and view the non-existent content.

And this is what I get when I do:

# mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cd
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
    ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so
    Last edited by Garrett85; 07-06-2011 at 10:53 PM.

1) Modern Linux kernels use a program called udev to create their device files dynamically at boot. So if you don't have a floppy drive, no dev/fd0 file will be created.

2) You can create device files by hand but only by using the mknod program or the MAKEDEV script (which many distros have in the /dev directory). Just creating a file in the ordinary way doesn't work because it's not a device file. Device files are not ordinary files; they are special. But even if you did use MAKEDEV, I doubt if the resultant device file could be used if you didn't actually have the corresponding device on your machine.

3) If you want to mount a cdrom, it must have an ISO9660 file system on it. A blank disk won't do.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"